Temp/Pressure combo gauge replacement options/ suggestions

Old 09-26-12, 08:51 AM
Temp/Pressure combo gauge replacement options/ suggestions

I'm having a few doubts about how well my combo temp/pressure gauge are functioning and am wondering if I should replace the combo gauge on the boiler with another combo or look at running two seporate gauges (and how to set them up).

Also, where would be the best place (price) to pick up a combo gauge and/or temp gauge?
Pressure gauges are easy and cheap to find locally, but temp gauges are no so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-12, 02:43 PM
Google "Winters Tridicator" - no. 1953 has the ranges most useful for a hot-water boiler. But make sure you get one for either horizontal or vertical mounting, whatever you need.

Boilers typically have a 3/4" female nipple into which the gauge threads. A temperature probe extends from the gauge, through the nipple, and into the boiler. With only one gauge nipple on the boiler, I don't think installing two tridicators would be possible.

Installing a second pressure-only gauge should be easy - it can be installed anywhere in the system, but best to have it at the same elevation as the boiler gauge and on the same side of the pump.

Replacing the tridicator will likely involve depressurizing the the system.

Old 09-26-12, 03:39 PM
NJT
Winters also makes a gadget that makes changing the gauges easier...

Pressure Gauges and Industrial Thermometers - Winters Instruments - TST Tridicator Shut-off Thermowell

You still want to de-pressurize the system before unscrewing the gauge, but you don't need to drain it with one of these. PROVIDED your gauge stem is the proper length to work with it.

These backmount gauges are 1/4" NPT ... but the price seems right! Maybe you can bush the well down and use one of these? The ranges seem a little on the high side though.

Winter Tridicators, Winter Pressure Gauges, Temperature Gauge, and Combination Pressure Temperature Gauges for Radiant Heat and Hydronic Heating

Old 07-14-14, 10:54 AM
Can't speak for others. I use 3d instruments. Decent price and customer service.

Pressure Gauges & Monitoring Instrumentation - 3D Instruments, LP

Old 07-14-14, 11:35 AM
NJT
Hi Jim, perhaps you didn't notice that question is nearly two years old?