Boiler water feed-HOT water?

Old 09-27-12, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler water feed-HOT water?

I have a question regarding the water feed on a new steam boiler, installed March, 2011.
I replaced my steam boiler when the previous, 40 year old one developed a bad leak in the internal DHW coil. I noticed the plumber used the new hot water heater to feed the new boiler. When I asked him why, he said he likes to use the hot water because "It's less of a shock to the system" than cold water.
I was under the impression that hot water has more minerals dissolved in it and this could shorten the life of the system.
Anyone have any thoughts? I wanted to drain and refill the boiler soon before the first start-up of the season.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-12, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I wanted to drain and refill the boiler soon before the first start-up of the season.

Why are you going to drain and refill? You will just be adding oxygen to the boiler, and you dont want that.

Hot water heaters are a vessel. It basically stores all sediment. That is essentially what you would be filling your boiler with. Yuck!!

Old 09-27-12, 01:52 PM
I just assumed flushing was an annual maintenance thing, as that's what my contracted oil guy did every fall before I converted to gas and had the new boiler installed.
So there's no difference in feeding with hot or cold water? I know it doesn't call for water very often.

Old 09-27-12, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Oh I am sorry, I misread your post. You have steam.

Old 09-27-12, 03:57 PM
Yes, it is a steam system. Is it normal to flush the boiler? O.k. With hot water?
Thanks

Old 09-27-12, 04:41 PM
I'm not that experienced with steam boilers, but how much water will you need to be adding while it's hot? Isn't that make up water added a bit at a time? I think if a lot is being added, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. In addition to what lawrosa said, is the water really going to be hot when it enters the boiler? It will have to drain all the cold water out of the line before you get hot water. I don't like the idea myself for the reason lawrosa gave. Hot water tanks collect a ton of crap over time. That's why you should never use it for cooking or drinking.

Old 09-27-12, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Not a steam guy but from what I read elseware, cold water is the norm, and do not drain.

Here is one link. Scroll down to the steam area.

Hopefully the steam guys will chime in.

Why Cast Iron Boilers Leak

Old 09-27-12, 06:56 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I don't see the point of using hot water either. You do see it done from time to time though. I always thought it was by mistake!