Pressured solar heating system - pressure loss

Old 09-28-12, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pressured solar heating system - pressure loss

We have a relatively new solar heating system (4years) that has recently developed an issue with keeping the pressure. When we returned from holiday the pressure was at ambient levels when usually it's at 4 bar.

we called in a local plumber who recharged the system to 4 bar, using over 10 litres of fluid. The system was stable for a couple of weeks and then again the pressure suddenly dropped to 1 bar.

we have checked the piping and can not see any evidence of a leak. The pump is no longer circulating the fluid (switched off now) so it's obviously lost the fluid somewhere. The pressure relief valve is ok as this taps into a container that would collect any fluid discharged.

It was hot yesterday and the pressure in the system rose to over 3 bar which I am guessing was down to the expansion of the air in the system.

my question is as this looks to be a very small leak is there a fluid that we can introduce into the system to automatically plug the leak? I know there is such a fluid for car radiators and heating systems but not sure if these are stable at the kind of temperatures the solar system can get to.

would appreciate any advice.

G

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-12, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 209 Posts
I know nothing of your solar system but I would NOT put in a leak stop. Those products can do serious damage to a modern car by plugging up things it should not so I certainly would not use it without talking to the manufacturer of your system. Have you contacted the manufacturer for their recommendation? Maybe they know of a dye you can add to make a leak easier to spot.