Hoping to add Nest Thermostat, but Multiple Systems and Locations

Old 09-29-12, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hoping to add Nest Thermostat, but Multiple Systems and Locations

Hello All,

Sorry, this is sort of long.

I was happy to just find this list as I have a vexing issue/problem. Let me first describe our heating and cooling configuration. I know the cooling does not matter for this forum or the issue totally, but once I describe it all you may understand.

We have a 1920s vintage center hall colonial in NJ which originally had an oil furnace and radiators. This furnace heated the house when we bought it 15 years ago. About 12 years ago we busted out the rear of the house adding a kitchen, family room, and dining room on level 1 and a master suite on the second level. The size of this addition was too much for the existing heating system to support it, so rather than buying a larger furnace to support the full house, we installed a hot water baseboard system with a Utica boiler. That new Utica has two separately controlled "strings" - one for the downstairs and one for the master suite upstairs.

We maintained the original oil system for the original part of the house. Each of these systems have their own thermostats, of course. The oil burner's thermostat is on the first floor in the original dining room by the front of the house. The downstairs Utica part has a thermostat in the new part of the house, but about 10 feet away from the front part of the house and the thermostat for the old boiler. This thermostat (honeywell touch pad) also manages the A/C for all of the first floor (old and new house).

The upstairs master suite has its own thermostat, and in a separate room off of the master suite near the old part of the house is a thermostat that currently only manages the A/C on the second and third floors of all of the house.

It all has basically worked, but required more management than I would like.

Last week, we replaced the old oil furnace with an efficient gas Honeywell one. This heats the existing radiators in the old part of the house.

I have checked all of the radiator vents and they seem to be in good shape.

The challenge is this -

I would like to install new Nest thermostats in the house to help save energy and allow me to manage them remotely, and consolidate the thermostat for the old (now new) system with the upstairs A/C location resulting in three thermostats in the house.

1) The master suite is easy. It is it's own system off the Utica, so I'll need to maintain its own themostat I assume.

2) The downstairs new part of the house is also easy. If I install a Nest there, it can manage both the downstairs Utica system and the 1st floor A/C.

3) If I were to relocate the thermostat for the new furnace which supports the radiators from the first floor front of the house to the second floor where the thermostat for the A/C is (old part of the house), then I could consolidate the systems and allow the temperature on the second floor to drive the level of heat in that part of the house. This could be a new Nest thermostat. I proposed this to the technician who installed our new system and he claimed it would result in the first floor of the old house being too hot. Even with all of the vents seeming working fine, the second floor is typically cooler, which irritates my daughters which have rooms there. There are 4 radiators on the first floor served by the new boiler. I see his point and sense this might be true, but I would like to be able to keep the upstairs warmer and join that thermostat location. I considered simply turning off one or more of the downstairs radiators in conjunction with that relocation of the thermostat.

Has anyone encounters a situation like this? Any wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You will have to pull new wires from the old thermostat location to the upstairs thermostat location at the very least. If not you will need to pull new wires from the new boiler to the upstairs thermostat location. Can this be done, yes..... you can do it. Should you use NEST thermostats? In my opinion, no....