Flushing Indirect?

Old 09-30-12, 07:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flushing Indirect?

I have a Weil McClain gold 40 indirect water heater? I was curious if I should flush it for maintenance? I thought I read I directs didn't need flushing. I had one that only lasted 3 yrs and under warranty. The plumber installed a new one and he said no need to flush. I am on Well water w filter and softener.

Old 10-01-12, 09:10 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Here is W-M instructions for their current line of indirects (which all have stainless steel tanks): http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets...qua_manual.pdf I didn't find manuals for your particular model.

They prescribe annual inspection of the anode rod, including draining the tank, opening up the inspection plate, and removing any sediment at the bottom of the tank.

Flushing would only help remove sediment, which would be accomplished by the required annual inspection. Early tank failure would most likely be caused by disolved solids in the water, such as chlorides. Chlorides could be coming from your water softener if it isn't rinsing sufficiently after regeneration. Stainless steel is vulnerable to corrosion and cracking in the presence of chlorides in the water.

Wat was the failure mode of your last heater? The domestic water tank started leaking or did the boiler water coil fail?

Old 10-01-12, 10:02 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The last failure the water tank was leaking water out the top of it. How do I find out if its not rinsing properly?

Old 10-01-12, 01:45 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Google "chloride test strips" or "chloride test kit". Check the domestic water shortly after the softener regenerates. The limit depends upon the particular stainless steel alloy - you can call W-M and ask them what the chloride limit is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: