Connecting Zone controls to new Boiler

Old 10-03-12, 04:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting Zone controls to new Boiler

I have just bought a new furnace, A Williamson (I had a peerless)

my 2 Honeywell V8043 zone valves were new a year ago so I kept them.

I had a friend who is a retired plumber install. he said to me "I dont do electrics though, but its easy....we just label where everything goes!"

Yeah.....well upon taking out the old boiler, there were two wires from the zone valves connected to the aqua-stat and 2 to the transformer.

Now I have installed the new furnace (A Williamson GWA-140) as see that according to the instructions there are just 2 connections for the zone valves.....one wire labelled Transformer, the other blank.

I have 4 wires to connect though....theres nowhere on the aquastat to connect anything

I played around a little and got it so the valve would open, pump would start, gas would kick in, but it would not shut down after the thermostat was turned off.....

I would love some advice...I am in a right pickle!

Old 10-03-12, 05:57 PM
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Check this out. Look at the third one down.
Zone Valve Wiring

Old 10-03-12, 07:18 PM
C
Thanks. Still not clear on it at all (also not sure what you mean by thirs one down)

Like I said, I had two wires to the aquastat and 2 to the transformer.

Say I use my old external transformer.....where do I connect what was connected to the aquastat?

Old 10-03-12, 07:54 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you want something easy and quick, check out a Zone Valve Control, something like this:

http://www.reginageo.com/CUSTOMER%20WARRANTY%20&%20IOM's/Radiant%20Floor%20Warranty%20&%20IOM's/3%20Zone%20Controlers.pdf

All the wiring is handled here. You thermostats will connect to this box, the zone valves, and then it will turn on the boiler and open the valves as needed.

Old 10-03-12, 08:21 PM
C
Thanks. Is there nothing that will work with what I have? I mean should there be any reason that my honeywells wont just connect somehow to what I have purchased?

Old 10-03-12, 08:51 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Is this the manual that came with your boiler that you are looking at?

http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/docum...7001100100.pdf

If so, figure 11 on page 14 shows that:

Your boiler has 2 black wires that are supposed to connect to either a thermostat, or an end switch, is that correct?

Your Honeywell valves each have 2 red wires and 2 yellow wires, is that correct?

The RED wires are your END SWITCHES. These are likely all connected in parallel.

The YELLOW wires power the zone valves from the tranformer. One of the yellow wires will go to a thermostat, the other yellow wire will go to your external transformer.

I believe you DO want to use your old transformer.

The RED wires from the Zone valves connect to the 2 BLACK wires on the Williamson, the ones that are labeled for " Thermostat or End Switch "

Perhaps this diagram will help:

Old 10-05-12, 06:30 AM
C
Thank you. That wiring diagram was perfect. Did it yesterday and worked like a charm!

They say everybody needs a hero, today, you are mine

Old 10-05-12, 09:11 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks so much for that! made my day!

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: