Bypassing indirect hit water aquastat to save oil

Old 10-11-12, 02:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypassing indirect hit water aquastat to save oil

Hello, I am in the process of selling a house and have the boiler shut off currently. It is going to get cold soon so I need to turn it back on. I have hotwater baseboard heat with indirect hot water. Could I just disconnect my aquastat on the indirect water tank to keep the furnace from firing to make hot water for showers etc that I won't be using. I just need some hot water for a little heat so the pipes don't freeze.

So long story short, can I just cutoff the indirect hot water zone and let my single hot water baseboard zone still run to call for heat for the house. Just trying to save some money while the house sits empty.. Without the pain of draining all my plumbing anyways. Thanks guy!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-12, 03:00 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
As long as the indirect itself won't be subject to freezing (and it will be near the boiler so I don't think it would anyway), then yes, you can do that.

Modern indirects don't lose a lot of heat in standby, but I guess every little bit counts!

Make sure that you inform or leave instructions to the new homeowners how to reconnect it, or do it yourself after the home is sold.

Old 10-11-12, 04:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds good, I was thinking it woulnt effect anything. And I guess it is true it doesnt use too much in standby. Just depends on how long it's for sale I guess. I already had it off for three months so I guess it's worth it?

Old 10-11-12, 04:25 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The other thing that should probably be done when the home is sold is a flush of the water heater... drain and refill... to get rid of that stanky old stagnant water which could be a bacteria breeding ground...

I guess it's worth it?
Can't hurt!

Old 10-12-12, 05:36 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
The other thing that should probably be done when the home is sold is a flush of the water heater... drain and refill... to get rid of that stanky old stagnant water which could be a bacteria breeding ground...
100x agree with this.
The previous owner did not do this for ours and when we moved into the house in december... What a mess that water was.
Another suggestion would be to have the local boiler guy you deal with come in and give them a quick once over of how the boiler works (bleed screws, etc). This would mean the world to someone who has never had a boiler. Could either roll the cost into the sale, or simply leave a note with a name and number of who to call to get a quick overview of the boiler.