Contractors skipping outdoor reset

Old 10-14-12, 09:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contractors skipping outdoor reset

I was in the basement the other day of a six unit building that had just gone through a gut rehab. They put in six high efficiency, modulating, condensing, SS HX boilers. Some of the apartments are copper fin radiators, and some are radiant floor. I noticed that none of the boilers had the outdoor reset (which is supplied with this model of boiler). When the owner contacted the heating contractor, the contractor said the reset wasn't in his contract, and demanded $265, each, to install the reset.

Funny thing was that the same thing happen on my house, with a different contractor. The installer left the job without putting on the reset. Seems like for about an hour of work, these installers are costing customers many years of fuel savings, because the boilers aren't nearly as efficient without the reset installed and correctly configured.

Is this common? Are a lot of folks unknowingly having high efficiency boilers installed without the reset??? Or did I just happen to run into two lowlife companies.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Is this common? Are a lot of folks unknowingly having high efficiency boilers installed without the reset??? Or did I just happen to run into two lowlife companies.
Yes this is common IMO. Many contractors have no clue.

When the owner contacted the heating contractor, the contractor said the reset wasn't in his contract, and demanded $265, each, to install the reset.
Unbelievable.... They come with the boiler... He did not want to lose his labor fee to go back. Sounds right $265 an hour...

Old 10-15-12, 11:43 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If the ODR sensor is in fact supplied with the boiler, and a contract is signed for installation of that boiler, then that ODR sensor becomes part of the contract.

If it's OPTIONAL, EXTRA purchase, then NO, the contractor has no responsibility to install unless specifically lined out in the work order.

Old 10-15-12, 03:28 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
This seems to be a common practice with many lower quality contractors. They are not paying the fuel bill...... So what if they don't save the building owner the extra 10-20% on their fuel bill.

Old 10-15-12, 03:40 PM
NJT
They are not paying the fuel bill...... So what if they don't save the building owner the extra 10-20% on their fuel bill.
I've even heard stories where the contractor will tell the homeowner:

"Naaah, that's just a gimmick. I won't save you anything anyway! You don't need it, just one more thing to go wrong..."

and blah blah blah...

Old 10-15-12, 04:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ODR sensor was included with my boiler, and I'm not sure there are any small condensing boilers around that don't include them. But, I don't think that matters so much. The contract said "95% boiler", and the cut sheet said "95% boiler", and I think the contractor is responsible for installing equipment that reasonably matches the equipment that produced the 95% efficiency. Otherwise, it would be like buying a 35 mpg labelled car, then finding out that you needed the 'optional' intake air sensor to meet the claim.

Maybe a technical fix would help with this. What if when an ODR wasn't installed, the boiler reverted to intake air temperature to guess outdoor temp, as a default. Would this be duffus proof enough to save some MMBTUs?

Old 10-15-12, 05:09 PM
NJT
Yup, I agree. If it came with the boiler, the deal includes installation of that part.

What if when an ODR wasn't installed, the boiler reverted to intake air temperature to guess outdoor temp, as a default.
Interesting thought... as long as it was outside air being drawn in, there wouldn't be that much of a difference I suppose.

I think there's a problem with this though...

When the boiler was OFF in between cycles, that sensor in the inlet air line would probably warm up substantially. This would throw the control into fits I think. Once the boiler fired and outdoor air started flowing, now the control sees a radical temp change... and freaks out even more.

No... just have the guy out to install the sensor. He DID at least leave it for you, right? I mean he didn't steal your property and take it with him when he left, or worse yet, throw it out, did he?