New Yorker Boiler Opinion

Old 10-23-12, 09:08 AM
New Yorker Boiler Opinion

hello,
I'm new here and no nothing about boilers, well maybe a little. I had my boiler serviced this sunday because the automatic water feeder isn't working and this happens every year. I can feed water manually using the button on the feeder. The guy told me that the boiler was installed wrong in so many ways. I've heard this already from a coule of plumbers. He suggested to replace my boiler. He said the sticker onthe boiler is 20 years old (this i have to check) but the boiler looks great for 20 years. We moved in this house 6 years ago. Here are the things he mentions
  • boiler installed backwards
  • return water piping and few others are too small (causing clogs)
  • LWCO is dead
  • piping to the chimney was reduced
  • boiler is carbonated and blue flames spits out from the front.
  • boiler needs to be taken apart to clean it properly.
he said all these takes time and it will cost a little over $2K. he quoted me $5K for the new yorker CGS40 installed and all piping done correctly. this is really a touch decision because aside from putting water manually, the boiler runs fine (i think). we get the occasional pipe clunking and our gas bill during the cold months is between $150 to $200 a month. I'll try and get the exact model of my current boiler. I also have a separate 40g water tank/boiler.

should i just replace it and go through the process of correcting what's wrong with the current boiler? that's a $3K difference. thanks in advance for your inputs.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
  • boiler installed backwards
  • return water piping and few others are too small (causing clogs)
  • LWCO is dead
  • piping to the chimney was reduced
  • boiler is carbonated and blue flames spits out from the front.
  • boiler needs to be taken apart to clean it properly.
We would probably need to see pics in regards to some of the issues mentioned.

Also what is the make and model of the current boiler?

Concerns would be reduced chimney connection, backwards install???,and flame roll out.

Pics, pics, pics.........

Old 10-23-12, 10:01 AM
i will post detailed pics tonight and the model number. thanks again. i hope this can save me some $$$

btw, i'm in Queens, NY

Old 10-23-12, 10:50 AM
Definitely pictures needed.

On a side note, our Oil burning boiler (might be different for yours) was ~$100 for a full clean out and tune up with the nozzle and filters replaced. Took about 3 and a half hours (I think my local guy works slowly, but done right, who cares).

Old 10-23-12, 03:39 PM
Upvotes Received: 5
20 years is not ancient for a hot water boiler. Go slow here.

Old 10-23-12, 03:47 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
True... not old...

I think the problem here is that labor in NY is so durn expensive. Sometimes it makes better economic sense to replace.

Yes, go slow. Let's see the pics... lots of them, large enough to see details, well lighted, in focus, etc.

Old 10-23-12, 04:18 PM
Upvotes Received: 5
Are you in NYC? Based on the repairman's intitial findings, and advocating a new boiler, maybe so. But you say your location is just NY - NY state has some pretty reasonable places - I've been there a couple of times Maybe to easterners, NY automatically means NYC, I don't know.

Old 10-23-12, 04:19 PM
NJT
Doug, Queens is in the city. (post #3)

Old 10-23-12, 07:42 PM
here are some pictures, click on the link. the boiler is a pennco 1606 hsd. i hope you can deciper the setup of my boiler and water heater with my pictures. i put them in an album because they might be too large for the forum. if not i will link them here. any of you have experience with new yorker brand boilers? thanks again.

Pennco Boiler pictures by BMWs50b30 - Photobucket

Old 10-23-12, 08:00 PM
NJT
George, pull the camera back and take a few wider angle shots so we can get a better idea how all the close-ups fit together as a whole.

Old 10-23-12, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
What do you think troop? 187K??? Should he measure his rads? Seems pretty large... But Queens, could be multi family...

Dont look too bad, but I am not a steam geologist.

I see a circ so heating basement?

boiler installed backwards
Contractor trying to sell you something?
return water piping and few others are too small (causing clogs)
Steam trap? Again trying to sell you something?

LWCO is dead
Replace it.....

piping to the chimney was reduced
This I am not sure. I see it, but for $30 in pipe it can be corrected

boiler is carbonated and blue flames spits out from the front.

Thats a concern. It should be cleaned first IMO. Sometimes cleaning does not fix it. But once the flue is pulled the chimney can be inspected. There may be years of debris blocking the flue. Easy fix of a possibly chimney reline. ( Contractor ploy. Adds on to new boiler install)

boiler needs to be taken apart to clean it properly.
Of course.....

Old 10-24-12, 05:17 AM
i have 7 radiators total in the house. 3 in the main living area, 3 on the 2nd floor and 1 in the attic. the basement baseboard heat is not working, pipes run along the ceiling and it should be underground.

Should I try a different contractor and get a second opinion? I am definitely not capable of replacing the LWCO and the guy told me the to repalce it will cost $300. Thanks again all for the help.