(Storm) Sandy (Home Heating Related Questions)

Old 10-29-12, 05:02 PM
(Storm) Sandy (Home Heating Related Questions)

Many of our members on the forum live in the Northeast, where hot-water heat prevails. They must be preoccupied with Sandy, thus explaining the drop-off in posts here. There are few of us, outside the affected area, still sitting here, twiddling our thumbs. If anybody wants to post a question, we'll try to do our best.

Meanwhile, good luck to all our friends affected by Sandy. We will want to hear your stories.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 06:04 PM
So far (knock on wood) we still have power here in central CT. But the wind is still gusting and the lights are still flickering.

I'm concerned about the detrimental effect that such heavy winds and rain can have on my boilers draft. Even with a good chimney cap, I still worry about downdrafts.

Old 10-29-12, 06:11 PM
Wind across the top of the chimney should increase draft. I tend to think that downdrafts will be rather brief.

Old 10-29-12, 06:27 PM
Within the past year I've added a Honeywell R7284 primary to the system, and I have to think the pre-purge and post-purge functions are helping to keep the draft stable during start-up and shutdown.

Old 10-30-12, 05:07 AM
How do you folks have your boilers setup for power outages? Simple transfer switch arrangement or just hope for the best?

I'm unfortunately on the "hope for the best" solution until I can get everything together for the transfer switch/generator.

Old 11-06-12, 05:46 PM
NJT
Just a short note to all my friends...

I'm still alive. Minor damage to the home.

Sandy did some MAJOR damage to our electrical infra-structure here in central NJ and I'm still without power.

I've been running the boiler and the fridge on a small generator with no issues...

Being on well water though, it was getting kinda old not being able to flush the terlet or take a shower... so today I called in all my markers and located a 5500W model. Big enough to run my well pump and electric water heater (by itself of course).

Cable service just came back today so thought I would touch base with all y'all and let ya know that I'll be concentrating on other things until the juice gets turned back on (which will be at least another week or so)...

Play nice kids!

Old 11-08-12, 07:38 AM
sandy

My 3 kids all have gasfired steam heat. So all they needed was a small inverter, and a jump start, or a small deep cycle battery. Luckilly the gas HW heaters are self generating, and they have city water. as of now, two are still without power. All are in Nassau Cty. Very fortunate otherwise. I had always thought about converting them to hot water, but I don't know,maybe simpler might be better.
Sid

Old 11-09-12, 05:28 PM
NJT
Thanks everyone! (I can see the deleted...)

The new boiler performed well running off the small generator, but on Tuesday I managed to snag a bigger one (5500W) that also could run my electric hot water heater.

I'm DEFINITELY going to do something about the hot water situation... I don't want to replace an almost new water heater but I am going to look into a sidearm heat exchanger. Even if it doesn't turn out to be sufficient to supply ALL the hot water, at least I'll have SOME as long as I can fire the boiler.

That and a PROPER transfer switch! and maybe a 'shed' for the generator so I can keep it dry and not kill myself with CO poisoning.

I would HIGHLY recommend that if you are running a backup genny during an emergency to also install one of the many WHOLE HOUSE surge supressors that mount on or in your service panel.

Last edited by NJT; 11-09-12 at 05:56 PM.