Faulty High Limit Aquastat?

Old 11-03-12, 12:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty High Limit Aquastat?

Honeywell L4080D-1234 High Limit Aquastat was working fine yesterday and today the boiler won't shut off even after hitting 270F.

Yesterday we drained the boiler and all the zones, replaced a circ. pump and 1 of the 3 zone valves. Filled the zones and started it back up. All the baseboard radiators heated up perfectly but we heard some banging in the basement. Went down to check it out and the temp/pressure guage read 270F and 18PSI... Obviously, this guage is faulty also as it never even moved(pressure) when we drained the system to install the previusly mentioned parts. The temps went up and down but never a movement on the pressure part.

My question is... Did I do something wrong when refilling the system and it broke the aquastat? Or do I just have seriously bad timing and it just happened to go bad? Thanks in advance for any help!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 05:55 PM
R
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
When you replaced the zone valve, did you use an exact replacement part and wire it exactly the same way as you found it?

Try taking the repaired zone "off line" and see if the boiler properly shuts down when being controlled only by the other zones.

Old 11-03-12, 07:40 PM
J
Yea, it was an exact replacement and wired the exact same way... Had to check again to make sure.

Tried taking it offline and the aquastat still did not shut it off at 150F(set it low since it was off). It went to 175F and then I just shut it off.(all power to the system) Oddly, when I pulled the power wire from the transformer, before I shutdown all power, it turned everything off as it was supposed to.(the plug from the aquastat to the transformer to clarify)

Good Idea tho... ANY help is appreciated! Thanks!

John

Old 11-03-12, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
the boiler won't shut off even after hitting 270F.
Your looking for trouble, or serious injury here. Either the gauge is off or the relief valve is bad,

I would not want to chance it. Boiler can blow up/explode.

Change relieve valve at a minimum, on top of the triadicator and aquastat...

Call in a pro or shut the boiler down ASAP until fixed.

Old 11-03-12, 09:59 PM
J
Roger that! Thank you for your promt attention sir! You are correct... that 270F(actually over) scared the stuff outta me... And a 200lb boiler moved a 1/4" right in front of my eyes when I walked in before I read the temp... Shut it off within a second and have turned it back on a couple of times but never let it temp over 180F. I tried to clean off the well and the tridicator, put em back in and still nothing...

Tried to clean out all the black residue but only got most of it... Still a bit in there but "almost" clear water now... My drain valve had been clogged and would not drain from all the sediment... Replaced it too.

I have some pics and I will take a few new ones to show the work I have done to date(within the last 3 days) As I have replaced one of the relief valves(I trusted my local plumbing hardware shop to find a proper replacement)... I may have yet to replace the right one.

Just an FYI, I tested my expansion tanks pressure and it read 15PSI. The relief valve on top of it seemed to have a little leak out of the rim and of course the nozzle on the top... Is that the relief valve that you speak of??

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Here are the new and old pics(3 days old and right now) Need anymore? Just askand it will just take a second. Thanks again for all the help!

John

P.S. Law, I live in Colorado. Our nights are chilly(30F) but still getting to 70F during the day and without heat we only get to 62F inside(thank you insulation!) overnight. I really don't have the money to call in a pro at the moment... But will if need be.

Old 11-07-12, 12:33 PM
Y
Woah 62 degrees is higher than i have ever even had my heat. I usually set it to about 57 maybe 60 when its really cold.

Old 11-07-12, 06:20 PM
Z
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Woah 62 degrees is higher than i have ever even had my heat. I usually set it to about 57 maybe 60 when its really cold.
Have you seen your doctor lately? You may be dead!

[ NJT added - ]

Last edited by NJT; 11-10-12 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-07-12, 06:59 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
It is hard to tell from the photo but is the arrow on the pump pointing down? This looks like a Series 2 Burnham boiler. If the flow in the boiler is backward the high limit is always way off.

Old 11-09-12, 07:15 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Looks like backwards circ to me also...

Old 11-09-12, 11:54 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
That pump is definitely in backwards. Look at the body casting and you can see the suction passage to the "eye' of the impeller.

Old 11-10-12, 07:28 AM
NJT
By the way, don't be embarrassed or shy about installing the pump upside down, you aren't the first and won't be the last. Happens a lot... even to the pros.

Please double check that the pump is properly installed, reverse it if you have to, and please come back and let us know the results.

Old 11-10-12, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
The pump looks right to me...Arrow down from what I see.

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-12, 07:54 AM
NJT
Isn't that the OLD pump? and the green 007 the NEW pump?

Old 11-10-12, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Oh geez!!!! My bad... I am too overwhelmed that my power is back on.... Ignore me...

Old 11-10-12, 08:28 AM
NJT
HA! Me too! You are forgiven, many of us seem to have PTS today.

Johnny, you said:

I tested my expansion tanks pressure and it read 15PSI.
You did this when there was ZERO pressure on the boiler side, correct? If not, you did not get a true reading. Please view the following 'sticky' post:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

There are instructions for properly checking/charging the expansion tank.

Since you have to drain again to turn the pump around, that is the time to check the tank. Strongly consider adding the optional valves between the system and the tank at that time.

Sure would be nice to not have to drain the system to turn the pump around, wouldn't it?

image courtesy rogeehydronics.com

Old 11-26-12, 10:09 AM
M
Same issue

I had this exact boiler installed last week by a "shady" plumber. I am experiencing this exact problem and have had to shut my system down in fear of a major disaster.

As it is a new boiler I have no idea what the problem could be. After some research I have ordered a new high limit aquastat. But now i am wondering if my pump was just installed backwards. unfortunately I will not be able to check it out until later this evening.

I was wondering if the pump being turned around resolved this problem or was it the limit after all?

Old 11-26-12, 03:07 PM
NJT
If in doubt, take pictures and let us look.

I think the OP didn't come back out of embarrassment.

Old 04-23-13, 10:40 PM
J
LOL NJ! Thanks for all the help!!! You were right... it was the pump, I replaced it in the wrong direction. It was not the aquastat. Been working fine all winter after turning the circ pump around. Couldn't post for a few days after my last post then eventually forgot. Wasn't too embarrassed considering it was my first boiler repair and it ended up great! Thanks again.

Old 04-24-13, 02:33 PM
NJT
Thanks for coming back and letting us know Johnny!

Many a pro has even put a pump in bassackwards... so you shouldn't be embarrassed by that small slip up.