5th floor (top floor) not getting any heat

Old 11-05-12, 08:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 5th floor (top floor) not getting any heat

Im having a problem with the 5th floor of my multi family property. All of the other floors are getting heat but its not traveling to the 5th floor. The 5th floor is the very top floor of this building The thermostat control is in an apartment on the first floor. I keep the thermostat on 72 on an analog turn knob thermostat. Once it gets to 72 it stops like its supposed to. All of the other floors heat up but the 5th floor only gets a little heat and sometimes no heat in some of the radiators. I changed the air vents in most of the apartments in the 5th floor to #D vents but the problem still exists.

The apartment that the thermostat control is in the supers apartment on the 1st floor which is warm most of the time anyway. I have a feeling that the heat cuts out once it reaches its desired temperature causing heat to not be delivered to the 5th floor.

How can I get the 5th floor of this building some heat?? Any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 08:29 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Since this is multi-family housing you really need to call a licensed professional. Of course, since you gave absolutely NO information on the type of heating system there is no way than anyone can help you via the Internet.

Old 11-06-12, 11:13 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I totally agree with Furd - this website isn't oriented toward multi-storey commercial or residential buildings. Is your property in NYC? Anyway, you need to have some knowledgeable professional identified and on call.

Old 11-06-12, 12:02 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I totally agree with Furd - this website isn't oriented toward multi-storey commercial or residential buildings. Is your property in NYC? Anyway, you need to have some knowledgeable professional identified and on call.
I wouldn't jump all over the guy because it's a multi-storey residential building. If I was in their position, I would want to know what the issue could be before calling in a pro.

To the OP;
Much more information will be needed to help you out.

First question I have is the t-stat in located in another area which is heated by it's own zone?
If my understanding is correct, this would be issue #1 to resolve. Once the temp in the super's appartment satisfies the t-stat for the 5th floor, the heat is stopped for the 5th.

Assuming this is a hot water boiler, and not a steam boiler....
Is the system setup so that there is a zone per floor (5 zones)?
Does each zone/floor have it's own circulation pump?
What pressure/temp does your boiler read?
Do you have a pressure gauge per zone or just one on the boiler?
Make/model of the boiler?

Pictures, Pictures, pictures

Old 11-06-12, 12:50 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
I'm not "jumping all over the guy" at all. He (she?) gave ZERO information on the system so anything I wrote would be pure speculation. Further, many areas require any work done in a rented or leased facility be done by licensed professionals. A layman working with only information gleaned from the Internet could easily turn an inconvenient situation to a hazardous one. How would YOU like to be a tenant in such a situation?

Old 11-06-12, 12:59 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Furd... I didn't quote yourself.
You're recommendations and comments made sense.

Old 11-06-12, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I changed the air vents in most of the apartments in the 5th floor to #D vents but the problem still exists.

Sounds like steam... Call a pro please.

Old 11-06-12, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Northern Mike thank you for providing the advice and my apologies for not giving more details on the heating system that I speak of. Its a HB Smith gas boiler and its a steam boiler. I had an electrician check out the thermostat and it ended up being the thermostat ! He also suggested that the broken heat timer be fixed and he's fixing that at the moment. He said that the entire building heating system cant be controlled by the temperature in one apartment so he's going to install thermostat readers outside and inside of the building.