honeywell universal igniter glows but doesnt always light

Old 11-08-12, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
honeywell universal igniter glows but doesnt always light

on a york furnace i have changed the ignitor for the 2nd time in a year and decided to use a honeywell universal ignitor i picked up from home depot it looks to be shorter then the norton ignitor(41-402) my furnace was lighting fine for 6 hours after playing with it on the bracket now it lights sometimes and sometimes locks out my question since its glowing orange everytime could it be too short to ignite the gas or is there a chance that its faulty even though it glows orange

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 04:35 PM
Are you sure the gas valve is opening? If it doesnt always open then it wont light. What model furnace do you have

Old 11-08-12, 06:49 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The hot surface ignitor needs to glow WHITE hot, not just red. Also, it needs to be close enough to the gas stream to ignite. If the "universal" ignitor is shorter it may not be close enough to the gas stream to ignite.

Old 11-12-12, 12:26 PM
none of the ignitors i have had on this furnace ever glowed white they all lit up orange , i think i fixed the issue i bent the bracket down a little bit looks like the gas was cutting off before it sensed the ignitor was hot enough now its closer to the gas stream and has been working all week