Old Single Pipe Steam Radiator line not working.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-12, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Single Pipe Steam Radiator line not working.

Hello,

My building is a 4 floor tenament style building in Manhattan. In each of the corners of the building are exposed steam pipes which run up the entire building and branch off to different radiators (there are three on each end of the building). Three of these lines work fine. One line however is not working properly. It gets hot on the first floor (and thus that radiator is fine), but between the first floor and the second floor the pipe sudenly goes cold. As I said, the pipe is exposed so I can feel it. If I grab the pipe in one area it is incredibly hot, but a few inches higher, it is completely cold. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it? I am guessing there is air in the pipe which is unable to vent and therefore the steam can't rise? I tried replacing one of those air vents that are attached to the radiator on the radiator on the second floor, but that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-12, 10:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
NYC has very strict codes as to who is allowed by law to service and maintain heating systems.

ESPECIALLY in a multi-family scenario.

If you are not a licensed HVAC technician, you should not touch it. Liability and litigation could be the outcome.

Please call a professional.

Closed Thread