Installing a Nortitz Tankless Boiler on 8 zone hydronic baseboard, please advise

Old 11-09-12, 01:44 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a Nortitz Tankless Boiler on 8 zone hydronic baseboard, please advise

Hi i am new to this group so please go easy on me.

I am planning on installing this system as drawn, it is an 8 zone hot water baseboard with primary secondary.

Please feel free to advise if this will work and what i must change/add to make it happen.

Thanks

Name:  noritz boiler design.jpg
Views: 7049
Size:  30.5 KBNoritz NH199-DV boiler

Old 11-09-12, 05:29 AM
T
Well...
My opinion here,
first off get a real boiler.
secondly get rid of those 8 secondary pumps and replace with one pump, perhaps a grundfos alpha.
even small Taco 007 or Grundfos 15-58 are gonna cost somewhere around 60 watts x 8 = alot of wasted energy.
your piping is basically correct, though I would move the spirovent and expansion tank closer to the suction end of the pump.
you should add a drain point on each return leg before the shut off for that zone, or have a shut off in the secondary loop before the closely spaced tee to allow you to purge each loop thru one drain point.
hope this helps

Old 11-09-12, 08:30 AM
R
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If in your diagram "ZV" means "zone valve", then what you have sketched out is incorrect. You don't want to use zone valves together with zone pumps like that. Instead, you would need a flo-chek valve (aka "flow control valve") for each zone pump. Or you could use pumps with integral check valves. The point being, if using pumps, then you must address the issue of possible heat migration in each zone.

That being said, I agree with TOH, you should really consider a single pump on the secondary side, along with zone valves controlling each zone.

Old 11-09-12, 09:54 AM
Y
Hi
Thanks for the response, I agree with you about the boiler, its just that it was left over from a job.

As for replaceing the 8 pumps i have about 600 feet of 3/4 pipe feeding the zones, do you think the Grundfos Alpha could handle the head?

Dose it make a diffrence if i put the Zone Valves on the return or supply side?

Thanks for reminding me about the Drain Valves.

Old 11-09-12, 09:57 AM
Y
Thanks Rock what you and TOH are saying sounds good to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: