Peerless Boiler

Old 11-10-12, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peerless Boiler

My brother called me today, he said the boiler guy told him it would be some ridiculious price to remove and replace 2 Taco Valves that are side by side and very accessable. To me it looks easy to replace. When my brother told the guy it was too much the guy said you can do it yourself but this is what we have to charge you. We got hit bad by Sandy so a lot of folks are pretty desprate up here so folks are taking liberties and gouging them.

I attached pictures. It looks like he has water turn offs on all runs of pipe? Is this an easy job for a handy guy? Any suggestions? Does anything special have to be done before or after the valves are replaced. System bled?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/...Tony/tonys.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/...Tony/tony2.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/4/...49/Tony/TB.JPG

Help Please

Thanks
Oakey

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-12, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Your talking about the fill valve for the boiler? Those two geen items right?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing...

And what is the issue that they need to be changed???

Old 11-10-12, 05:00 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The green Taco valve to the right is a relief valve. And the small copper tubing from the discharge is too small - you need 3/4" pipe carried down within inches of the floor.

The valve on the left is the pressure reducing valve, unless I am confused. But, in my opinion, the pressure reducing valve should not be in the same line as the relief valve. Personally, I would repipe them separately, and replace both. Maybe others here will chime in.

Old 11-10-12, 07:29 PM
He has two recirculating pumps upstairs so

he said that the boiler guy said he had to be concerned with pressure getting too high.

Yes we are talking about the grreen Taco Valves.

Oakey

Old 11-10-12, 08:04 PM
Lawrosa

Yes the two green valves. The boiler guy that spoke with my brother told him that both valves had to be replaced that they were not working.

Oakey

Old 11-10-12, 09:55 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Many decades ago it was common to install a relief valve on the make-up water line. Sometimes this was the ONLY safety valve on the system. This has not been allowable under any mechanical code for at least thirty years but there ARE still systems like this in place.

As long as there is an ASME approved safety valve ON THE BOILER there is no need for that additional relief valve on the make-up water system. All your brother needs is a new pressure reducing valve providing the boiler does have a safety valve.

Old 11-10-12, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Some jobs you could just live there.I would just put dual feed and relief back in.

Old 11-11-12, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If your pressure is getting too high I would look at the expansion tank 1st...you can check if the fill valve is bad by simply shutting the "boiler feed valve" that is tagged there...if the pressure climbs then it is most likely your expansion tank..if not, then the fill valve would need to be replaced. It is a job that you can do your self if you feel comfortable doing so, it would involve draining some of your system if there is no way to isolate the "dual unit"(the fill and relief combination valve).