Installing radiant baseboard heating from a Central Boiler furnace

Old 11-13-12, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing radiant baseboard heating from a Central Boiler furnace

Any suggestions on what kind of pipe (pex vs. copper) to use for a new installation? What size of pipe as well, (.5 or 1 inch)?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-12, 12:32 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What size is the pipe leaving and returning to the boiler?

I believe most rads (mine anyway) are 3/4", but the feed loop my rads connect to are 1 1/4", which is the size of the feed and return pipe at my boiler.
As for material, I suspect you'll be looking at PEX. Copper is very expensive these days.
One of the pros should be around shortly with more questions/answers for you.

Old 11-13-12, 03:43 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
When you say "Central Boiler" are you talking about an outdoor wood fired boiler? (it's the brand name of one of the popular manufacturers)

If so, are you aware that you will need to couple the outdoor boiler to the internal system via a water to water heat exchanger? and that the internal system needs to be pressurized and have an expansion tank, et al?

A little more info will help us help you.

Old 11-14-12, 07:50 AM
The Central Boiler is an outdoor wood furnace.

Old 11-14-12, 08:35 AM
I am intersted in installing radiant flooring in two rooms of our home. My father, when building the home, installed a 1" board then placed 1/2" plywood over that. Will radiant flooring work with this home?

Old 11-14-12, 04:09 PM
NJT
You still need to tell us more.

Is it safe to say that the boiler has been installed for a number of years and is currently heating the home?

If so, how is the boiler currently connected to the rest of the system?

Will radiant flooring work with this home?
When you say " work " what exactly do you mean?

Do you want to REPLACE some existing heat in those two rooms with radiant?

If so, you need to think it through very carefully because in general radiant floor heat can only provide about 25 BTU per Square Foot. This is usually NOT enough to heat the rooms.

Tell us all about what you have, otherwise we won't be able to offer much help.

Old 11-14-12, 05:08 PM
We are installing/replacing our existing indoor, and outdated wood furnace with a new Central Boiler outdoor wood furnace. All installation for the new boiler will be new. We currently have forced air but I want to change to baseboard and/or radiant floor heating. I only want the radiant floor in two rooms and the others would be baseboard. What I mean by "work" is will radiant floor heating heat the rooms (covered by hardwood/laminate and/or linoleum) with the thickness of the flooring, which is either 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 inches. I would be installing the radiant heat under my house against the bottom of the sub-floor and then using the reflective covering.

Old 11-14-12, 07:52 PM
NJT
Well, like I said, it will 'work' in that it will provide some heat. It may or may not provide ENOUGH heat for the room though.

You need to do a HEAT LOSS calculation on the home to determine how many BTU you need.

Next, you need to determine if the amount of BTU you will get from the radiant floor will be enough to warm the room.

Don't be fooled by 'reflective covering'. It isn't what it's cracked up to be. You need INSULATION below the tubing in the joist cavities. Even with the so-called reflective covering, if you don't use insulation you will be losing a lot of the potential heat in a DOWNWARD direction...

Do your homework.