Can fins be removed?

Old 11-14-12, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can fins be removed?

Can the aluminum fins be removed from the copper pipe in order to shorten a baseboard unit or must I discard & replace with one the correct length?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-12, 10:25 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I would assume you could remove the fins to make it custom length or reduce output.
I don't think any of my baseboard rads are the same length (look all custom). The one on my third floor actually has two 90' bends so it can follow the wall under the window in the dormer.

Keep in mind, my baseboard rads are pretty old and all sheet metal parts making up the exterior cover and can be fairly easily shortened.

Old 11-14-12, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Yes. Use tin snips to cut the fins off to size. Then cut the copper to proper length. Cut the baseboard covers to size with tin snips also.

Old 11-14-12, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The finns

I have shortened a few of these units, both the finned tubes, and the covers. You must be careful, cutting the tubing as it is very thin, and easily dented or deformed. Instead of nailing the covers to the wall studs, I use drywall screws, with a long phillips bit, so I can get them off more essily to remove them if it's ever necessary.
Sid

Old 11-14-12, 02:48 PM
Are you trying to gain wall space or just reduce radiation. If you just want to reduce radiation, you only need to remove the fins.

Old 11-14-12, 08:52 PM
Lots of changes to walls and window/door sizes &placement dictate changes to baseboards