System 2000 EK1 OIL HOT WATER SYSTEM

Old 11-19-12, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
System 2000 EK1 OIL HOT WATER SYSTEM

I have a system 2000 oil hot water system that was installed in 1996. I bought the house in 2000 so I have had the system for 12 years. It is a very efficient system. It has a unhooked up 50 gal water heater that serves as a storage tank. The con on this system is service. The guy who installed it is retired-no replacement. I am 40 to 50 miles from any other service people and they have no interest unless it is a big job (new installlation) so I have done all the servicing my self. In the last few years, non specfic parts such as pressure valve, expansion tank, water heater & some specific parts- side venting fan failed-normal stuff. My question is - the heat comes up in the am via me or programmed thermostat. It can run a hour or so to get up to setting. A half hour later the hot (domestic)water comes on (boiler running) and run for an hour getting the hot waterp to temp. Can I control this manually some how so I can do the heat and hot water at the same time or even put it on a timer. How would I do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-12, 05:24 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It has a unhooked up 50 gal water heater
Huh? It's disconnected? UNhooked? what ya mean?

Old 11-19-12, 05:26 PM
NJT
the heat comes up in the am via me or programmed thermostat. It can run a hour or so to get up to setting.
How far do you set the temp back at night that it takes an hour to bring house up to temp?

For starters, perhaps you are using too deep a setback temp.

Old 11-20-12, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the hot water takes an hour to recover there's something not right, either incorrect piping, fouled plate exchanger, etc. The call should last no more than about 15 minutes.

The way that the system is supposed to operate fuel consumption is basically the same whether both calls occur at once or if there is a time interval between them. That's due to the purge cycle at the end of a call.

Have you called Energy Kinetics for assistance in locating a closer dealer?

Old 11-21-12, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ans 1-the water heater in the system 2000 is a storage tank- it doesn't heat the water. The boiler does. ans 2- put thermostat down from 68 to 60 (maybe this a little too much) ans 3- I will time the am hot domestic water cycle and see what is what. I would still like to find what circuit calls for the hot water? I did call energy kinetics and they gave me a guy who I called and he told me I was out of his service area. He is willing to sell me energy kinetic specific parts -so it is what it is. Thank you guys for replying and if I dont hear from you again Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-12, 03:32 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Without knowing how the heat and HW controls are set up, it's hard to give a definitive answer. For instance, is the HW tank temperature control wired for priority? Does the HW tank utilize a zone valve or does it have it's own pump? Pics would probably help.

IMO, the 8* nightly setback down to 60* is at least contributing to the problem. Try using a higher setback temperature and programming the t-stat to start the boiler sooner (earlier) in the morning, before you awake.

Old 11-21-12, 05:24 PM
NJT
ans 1-the water heater in the system 2000 is a storage tank- it doesn't heat the water. The boiler does.
ummmm... yeah... we know that... what are you trying to say?

I still don't know what you mean by 'unhooked'. Unless you mean ' ISOLATED ' ?

In between the boiler and the storage tank is a 'brazed plate heat exchanger' which transfers the heat from the boiler water to the water in the storage tank and isolates the domestic from the bioler water.

What heatpro is saying is that this heat exchanger could be fouled with calcium/lime deposits, which would take a LONG time to heat the water in the tank back up.

There is an aquastat temperature controller on the storage tank that signals the boiler to fire up when the tank cools. I believe there is a separate pump on that circuit, heatpro can confirm this, he is an EXPERT on these systems, TRUST HIS ADVICE.

ans 2- put thermostat down from 68 to 60 (maybe this a little too much)
That is a pretty steep setback, I would go with Rock's advice of having the t'stat start recovery earlier, or not set back as far.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Old 11-27-12, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Trooper is correct in his info as to the plate exchanger.

As to priority, normally it's not needed with EK. Your system most likely has what's called the Classic manager which has no switches to give Priority. That didn't come along until the newer Digital manager was introduced in 1997. It can be hardwired but then if a hot water call lasts for an extended period of time, such as yours currently has, in cold weather pipes in cold areas could freeze. There are other options that would prevent that, but the best solution is correcting the problem with recovery.

An 8 setback is too much, not just for EK but for most newer high efficiency equipment. Any system with radiant heat shouldn't be set back at all. In your case I would not set the temp back more than maybe 3.

As far as finding someone to work on the system, if you know or can locate a heating contractor willing to service it, EK will work with him/her as much as needed to resolve any issues.