Wiring 2 circulators

Old 11-21-12, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring 2 circulators

I am putting base board heaters upstairs, and keeping the exsisting infloor heat downstairs. I am splitting the upstairs and downstairs into 2 loops, using a circulator for the upstairs, and a mixing valve and circulator downstairs to keep the temperature lower for the infloor heat. How do I hook up the circulators, so that one isnt dead heading while the other is running?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 06:31 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Before anyone can give you any real solid info or ideas, some info regarding your system is required.
First off... Your boiler, make/model (gas, oil, propane)?
Next (important one)... What make and model is your aquastat?

Pictures are a huge help.

More then likely you're looking at a relay box (or two). Better info can be provided once we know what you are playing with.

Old 11-21-12, 11:26 AM
Ok....I have a honeywell L8124A,C. Triple aquastat, and just bought a Honeywell RA89A Relay.Just need to know how to wire it up to run the second circulator using the aquastat as the controller.I found diagrams of how to wire a honeywell R845a relay for zone 2, but no diagram to wire the RA89a. Do you hook up to ZR and ZC in the aquastat for zone control to fire the burner?

Old 11-21-12, 12:17 PM
Although I am not a boiler expert, I just recently rewired my aquastat (L8124L) to run both my zones correctly.
The thread regarding my rewiring can be found here, and contains a huge amount of info which could be useful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...questions.html

With the relay box you bought, is there a diagram as to how it's configured?

Old 11-21-12, 03:55 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
How do I hook up the circulators, so that one isnt dead heading while the other is running?
Why would one deadhead when the other is running?

You say that you have an 8124 aquastat. Does this imply that you are using your boiler to heat your domestic hot water also?

I'm not sure the RA89 is the relay you want to use... let me look at a few things and get back to ya.

Old 11-21-12, 04:06 PM
NJT
OK, as long as you never plan to expand beyond 2 zones, you CAN use the RA89A. In the post that Northern Mike linked to:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...questions.html

In post #46 of that marathon thread, there is a schematic I drew.

I need to modify that schematic a bit for your purposes, which I will do an post later this evening, but I want you to READ AND UNDERSTAND the warnings I made about making sure that the power source for this all comes from the SAME 120VAC CIRCUIT. Failure to do so will be dangerous and possibly destructive.

Understand that there is a DOWNSIDE to using the RA89A.

Since because you have an 8124 aquastat it can be presumed that you are heating your domestic hot water with the boiler, if you use the schematic I'm posting, you will NO LONGER HAVE PRIORITY FOR THE DOMESTIC HOT WATER FUNCTION.

In other words, if the SECOND zone calls for heat while the boiler is firing on it's LOW LIMIT to provide hot water to the home, it is POSSIBLE that someone will be yelling at you big time from the shower that there is no hot water.

There may appear to be a 'workaround' for this, but DON'T DO IT. You do NOT want to power your second circulator from the ZC terminal of the aquastat.

It is for this very reason that the R845 relay is specified.

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say, please ask questions and I will try to explain.

If you can RETURN the RA89 and purchase the R845 (or R8845) then DO SO and wire that up per the schematic in the documentation.

Again, it's your choice whether or not you use this solution, which is NOT ideal, but will work. When the wife (or you) gets a cold shower, you may be sorry. FAIR WARNING.

Name:  tallboy6910.jpg
Views: 19654
Size:  25.9 KB

Last edited by NJT; 11-21-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 05:40 AM
Thank you for your help. I would prefer to have the R845. But the only available one that I could find in my area was the RA89 relay. I do heat my domestic with the furnace, so it could be an issue. I will look around for the proper one, and let you know how it goes. thanks again.

Old 11-22-12, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Wouldn't be easier just to run two stats? One for each pump. If you cant get a wire up you could install a wireless one.

Old 11-22-12, 06:34 AM
It is a 6 zone system, 4 upstairs, 2 downstairs. I have infloor heat downstairs, and baseboards upstairs. I am running the upstairs seperate from the downstairs, with 2 circulators, because I am mixing water for the infloor heat. I am just trying to wire the circulator with a relay so the circulators dont come on at the same time. The R845a relay is obsolete now, and have a supplier working on a alternative.

Old 11-22-12, 08:47 AM
NJT
The alternative to the 845 (which I'm sure you can still get) would be the R8845:

R8845U1003 - Honeywell R8845U1003 - Universal Switching Relay w/ Internal Transformer

In fact, almost ANY of the DOUBLE POLE SINGLE THROW relays should work.

It kinda sounds like you are trying to piece meal something together when instead you should be looking at a total solution.

I just noticed that your profile says 'non-US' ... but if you are at least in North America (say Canada?) you should be able to find these parts. Just curious, where 'non-US' are you that it is not easy to find this stuff? Honeywell is quite global.

It is a 6 zone system, 4 upstairs, 2 downstairs.
Oh.

Yeah, you probably should have mentioned the WHOLE story before I wasted my time on that diagram.

So tell us the whole story... FOUR zones up, with a pump driving water up there, and each zone in that group controlled by ZONE VALVES then?

and TWO zones of infloor down, with a pump driving both zones, and ZONE VALVES for each individual?

If so, I think you would do much better looking at a pair of ZVC zone control panels, one up and one down. Run the UP pump and valves from one of the panels, and the down pump and valves from the other panel and wire the T T from both panels to the boiler. DONE.

Old 11-22-12, 09:27 AM
Ya, more info is better,sorry. Ya the upstairs is going to be 4 zones with a circulator , and the downstairs with 2 zones and one circulator, each zone with its own zone valve. My supplier came up with a Taco SR502, which simplifies my situation without interfering with my domestic. It runs up to 3 circulators individually with my zone control on my aquastat, without interfering with my low limit and domestic. Thanks for all your help NJ Trooper. I'm from Nova Scotia. I'm assuming you are from New Jersey? If so, I hope you faired out well in the hurricane. I have been through 2 here myself, and know the devastation that comes with it.

Old 11-22-12, 09:41 AM
NJT
Yes, the SR502 sounds like a good choice.

I believe you will be running the endswitches from the upstairs to one 'channel', and from the downstairs to a second channel, each running it's own pump. The endswitch from the 502 panel will run to the boiler T T terminals... sounds like a good plan.

Yes, Sandy hit and bit us, but fortunately I'm a few miles inland and we only had tree damage and power outage here (12 days). I'm heading out now to cut some more trees. Sure wish I had a woodburner to use this firewood in! I know you know our shore line got hit HARD! MANY people still homeless and I pray for them every day. We're all doing what we can to help them. Thanks for your well wishes.

Old 11-22-12, 09:43 AM
Unless you are from the Dartmouth/Halifax or Turo area, you'll probably be like myself and sourcing parts online (or they are a special order through a local home heating shop).

Back on topic.... As Trooper mentioned, now would be a good time to take a quick step back and look at the entire system, what you have, how it's connected (piping and electrical) and what you want it to do.
The thread I linked above was a major step in removing the retrofits on top of retrofits on my boiler system.

Old 11-24-12, 01:53 PM
Hey guys , just got the system up and running. Still bleeding some air, but besides that, it is running flawlessly. Thanks for everyones help, I appreciat the input.

Old 11-24-12, 04:47 PM
NJT
Great! glad it worked out as planned!

Still bleeding some air,
And you will be... for weeks! All that fresh water will be giving up it's gases for some time.

Forcing a heat call to cause the boiler to run all the way up to high limit a few times will help get the air out faster.