Weil-McClain pump Q's

Old 11-27-12, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil-McClain pump Q's

Hello, I have only had one other q on here so I think Im still kinda a newbie... we had a new WM boiler installed 2 years ago, It is 9000 btu larger than the the Burnham that we replaced. Our issue is that this WM unit doesnt seem to keep our house a constant temp as our Burhnam did. The only differance that I can tell is that the pump on our WM only runs when it is doing a burn. Our Burhnam pump ran most of the time whether it was doing a burn or just sitting waiting on a call for heat. The pump was either temp or psi switched, I dont know. The Burhnam unit was 50+ years old and only had the pump replaced once. Now as soon as the thermostat reaches temp and ****s off the boiler the pump runs for just a few minutes and shuts off, we can tell a differance right away. Our installer said that this was not possible for the pump to run like it did on the Burhnam. Is this true?

FYI: Single zone (I guess) We only have 1 thermostat

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-12, 08:16 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Our installer said that this was not possible for the pump to run like it did on the Burhnam. Is this true?
If he was the installer, didn't he also remove the old system?

Perhaps someone retro-fitted some controls over the years?

There were plenty of systems that were CONSTANT circulation, pump ran 24/7 all winter. Maybe that's what you had?

What is the model of the new boiler?

Old 11-27-12, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The 'kid' that put it in is only 22 yrs old...not saying he doesnt know what he's doing but he didnt install the old system. I didnt hire him, I simply inherited it and its problems... The installer is more of a parts changer than a diagnostic, trouble-shooter. Thats why he hasnt been called back to work on it since it was installed.

Model #: Weil Mclain 381357337 77,000 BTU

We went from the Burhnam 68,000 BTU.... Now I know that the pump did not run 24/7 but I do know that the psi and temp was WAY down before it shut off.

When the burner started it took a little time before the pump came on....like 2-3 min but once it did it stayed on till it had cooled down alot.

Thats what I would like for this one to do.

Old 11-28-12, 04:09 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Weil Mclain 381357337
I don't think that's the model name/number?

Is there anything else?