Value of Boiler - New yet old

Old 11-28-12, 11:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Value of Boiler - New yet old

Thanks for letting me join this group.I look forward to contributing - I (yes,just myself and one other guy,was Fun) have rebuilt 2 homes from the studs in so May be able to. I know Zip Zero about this though.Help Please! My brother has a new,in the box, Lochinvar RBN 135 mini thin hot water boiler -expansion tank is new - input is 135,00 BTU - output is 112,000 BTU hour - automatic exhaust vent valve.
We were told it was to big for his house - could be used but hard to hook up (costly) Old boiler is toast.Gone.Yard Art. So. Would like to sell it and move on to forced air system. I'll put it on Craigslist I guess but how much should I ask for it? I am Clueless! Totally! Informed more knowledgeable then me Help please! And,THANKS!....Jack O

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-12, 04:39 AM
T
So, just to see if i have this correct, you existing boiler is no longer workable. You have abrand new 135,000 BTU boiler. And, since you THINK it's oversized, your going to rip everything out and put in ductwork and a gas fired furnace ?

The boiler might be worth a 1,000 to the right buyer but I doubt you will find one.
I would think it would be cheaper to buy a new boiler than to rip everything out and install a furnace .

Old 11-29-12, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Do a heat loss of the home so you know what size boiler to put in. IMO I would stick with hydronic heat. But I know some want central A/C.

I cant find an RBN model online. Can you verify?

Old 11-29-12, 03:08 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Tellya the truth... if I needed a boiler, and I had a bought and paid for one sitting there doing nothing, even IF it were oversized, I would probably go ahead and install it anyway. You can buy a lot of fuel for the 2-3 thou you might spend on the new boiler!

Contact Lochinvar and see how much they would allow 'down-firing' it. Some can be... to an extent and still have acceptable performance. [on second thought, never mind, it's gas fired... thought maybe was oil... gas can sometimes be adjusted down, but I don't think it will be recommended]

You won't get near what you paid for the Lochi on the open market as a 'new old stock' unit, I don't think.

Here's the manual:

http://www.lochinvar.com/_modelfiles...O%20Manual.pdf

Old 11-30-12, 02:36 PM
J
Thanks

I have read these replies and they have helped somewhat though I am still looking for a dollar amount to put on this boiler just to sell. I am Trying to find out more about an install - thinking about it ,it does seem to make sense. But,and it is a BIG But - is that I do know a guy,I would call him a friend even,how is a boiler guy,and a very very good one. He tells me that it would cost approx $1500 to install this boiler properly. Seems high,I know,and this is the friend discount - as I have said,I know zip about boilers. I do know about forced air though and know that for that $ I can(doing the work etc myself) install a new system that opens the possibility of central air. I've lived in houses w/hot water heart- love it - but 4 is $. The other thing that I am finding is that no one really wants to install a boiler that they did not sell you. I understand the reasons for that. If we can keep this thread alive I will keep all updated. THANKS!.....Jack O

Old 11-30-12, 03:16 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could get one-half the new price for this boiler.

According to the manual that Trooper linked to this boiler has a atmospheric burner, meaning no induced draft blower. If so, I wouldn't hesitate a minute installing it and downfiring it. Some models even have a two-stage gas valve which would make downfiring it even easier.

Old 11-30-12, 03:35 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Probably the best bet would be to sell it to a contractor/dealer. I don't know what the typical markup is to a contractor. Let's just say that it's 35%, so take off that amount from the price your brother paid, right off the bat. But a dealer normally doesn't want to stock a boiler of a particular model and size - he can get the right one delivered to him by the distributor in a couple of days or so. Plus, since it is a pre-owned boiler, there may be issues regarding the manufacturer's warranty - so take off another 35%, or 70% total. Totally hypothetical, but it gives you a possible way to think about it.

To sell it to another direct consumer, like me, I would be leary of the problem of finding an installer and about the manufacturer's warranty, which probably can't be passed through to a secondary buyer. Maybe a rough-and-ready DIYer might jump for it if he is currently in the market for a boiler of that particular type and size. But how do you find that person? And what discount would he demand? Your guess is as good as mine.

There is an established marketplace for pre-owned cars, but not for boilers. I fear that your brother has dug a hole for himself. Before he or you decides to convert his house to forced air, he should get a price for that. He might find it much more attractive to stay with hot water heat and maybe add a couple of mini-split A/C units.

Old 12-01-12, 04:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Seem to me you could keep the Lochinvar and still do HVAC by simply using a hydro coil... You could then do various forms of heating...hydro coil zone, base board zone, radiant or floor warming zone, and you could also do a indirect fired water heater. $1500 is not a high number for a good install..remember you are paying for the installers knowledge of proper piping arrangement, that is if you find the proper knowledgeable installer!

Old 12-01-12, 09:02 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think $1500 is high either... it is quite labor intensive to install a boiler properly.

Considering that a 'non-friend' would probably charge $4000 labor, I think yer gettin' off good.