Thermostat Help

Old 12-01-12, 09:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Help

Hi,

I have a 1 month old Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence model PTE110 installed that was a replacement for an older boiler. System is hot water gas fired baseboards. Boiler is set up with 3 Taco zone valves furnishing heat to basement, 1st floor, and small in-law apartment over an attached well insulated garage. This zone piping is the longest run. The boiler is using an outside temp sensor and is set for "switch and outdoor reset". The in-law apt. zone seems to have trouble reaching and maintaining a temp of 72 degrees. I replaced the original Honeywell round T87N1000 Tstat with a Honeywell RTH2300 that I had as an extra. This worked slightly better than the T87, but I'm not sure it's working correctly with this system. I am running another RTH2300 on the first floor zone and it appears to be working OK. Basement zone has a LuxPro PSPA711 Tstat and this seems to be working well also.

Is there a particular brand / model thermostat that can be recommended and is compatible with this boiler? I need a heat / cooling one since the in-law apt. has its own central air unit.

Any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

-- PSL

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-12, 04:51 PM
Did you go into the setup menu and set the system type to "Hot Water"?

Old 12-01-12, 07:00 PM
P
Thanks for the response. Yes, the Honeywell is set for gas Hot water with efficiency of >90%.

--PSL

Old 12-01-12, 07:13 PM
So the zone is on the whole time and not able to get to temp??

Do you have baseboard, or infloor heat?? Air in the line?

I am going to move you over to the boiler section and see if they can help futher.

Old 12-01-12, 08:10 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jay!

It may be that the in-law apartment has a higher heat loss and proportionally less heat emitter capacity than the rest of the home and with the new boiler and the outdoor reset, the 'targeted temperature' isn't enough to keep the apartment up to temp...

You may be able to 'tweak' the boiler setup to increase the water temp a bit. Your overall savings won't be as great as they would have been but at least the in-laws would be comfortable! ( IMPORTANT! )

Last edited by NJT; 12-01-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 08:28 PM
NJT
Your boiler is the "TriMax" isn't it? This manual?

http://www.triangletube.com/document...l%20052912.pdf

If so, you may be in luck...

Two central/space heating (CH) call inputs with separate outdoor reset curves.
You can program a different reset curve for the apartment I believe.

To what are the thermostats currently wired?

In order to enable the two different reset curves, you are going to need the apartment thermostat wired to CH2 while the other two t'stats are on CH1.

This could be an easy change, or complicated, depending on how it's wired now.

After the apartment is on CH2, go into the EZ setup menu and change the system type to FAN COIL. This will set the MINIMUM temp to 140 rather than the 120 setting used for fin tube baseboard. It will 'shift' the whole curve up at the bottom but retain the 180 max temp. The result will be that for any given outdoor temp, hotter water will be supplied to the apartment and should overcome the problem.

I'm sure there is a way to go in and 'tweak' the individual setting, but haven't looked through the whole manual yet... 'cheating' by using the fan coil setting is acceptable.

Yes, there is a separate 'installer manual' or 'control supplement' that allows changes not normally accessible to the end user because messing up the setting with totally inappropriate choices is very possible.

Last edited by NJT; 12-01-12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 08:45 PM
NJT
I don't know if you can tweak all the individual setting as with the older model boilers...

Here's a YouTube video that shows how to use the menus.

Remember though that until you separate the apartment onto CH2, changing this setting won't make a difference.

In the meantime though, you could try changing CH1 to fan coil as an experiment to see if it solves the problem. If it does, then go ahead and have the wiring changes made and select Fan Coil only for CH2.

Old 12-02-12, 05:27 AM
P
Hi to all,

First, thank you all for helping me sort this out and the detailed instructions. Right now, the in-law apt tstat is set to 71 degrees and ambient temp seems to be reaching and maintaining 71 degrees. I did change the coldest day setting from the default of 0 degrees to +9 degrees and that seemed to do the trick. So for now, I'll leave well enough alone and monitor the temp there for a while.

Thanks again to everyone!

-- PSL