help! riello burner, new honeywell zone valve, taco circulator stopped working..

Old 12-03-12, 09:43 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help! riello burner, new honeywell zone valve, taco circulator stopped working..

Hi all!
have a problem...boiler/furnace, a riello, dated 1980..one zone valve has gone bad. its a honeywell V8043 1012, the other is a honeywell V8043 1020. I got new ones, V8043 E 1020, and 1012. now...i was told ide have to cut the copper pipe, as the enw honeywells have a different backplate* i saw this comapring to the old ones, all rusted up.
I saw online, a conversion kit, honeywell 40003918. the instructions with the new valves said ot use this, with pre 1986 valves. will this conversion kit, make it so i dont have to cut any piping? all i have to do is drain the house system of water..
any info appreciated!
thanks

Last edited by NJT; 12-13-12 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-12, 03:31 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
one zone valve has gone bad
How has it 'gone bad' ? Leaking? Not opening? Not closing? Not firing the boiler when it opens?

i was told ide have to cut the copper pipe, as the new honeywells have a different backplate
You can tell the old from the new easily.

If there are FOUR SCREWS holding the powerhead to the valve body, you've got the OLD style and you can NOT change those powerheads without having to drain the system, or if you are lucky to have valves in the right places, isolating the valve by closing valves.

If there are TWO SCREWS and TWO 'LOCATING PINS', then you have the NEW style and you can simply replace the powerhead without having to mess with the valve body itself.

40003918-006 - Honeywell 40003918-006 - 2 Way Powerhead Conversion Kit (Water)

will this conversion kit, make it so i dont have to cut any piping?
Yes, this kit will allow you to place a NEW style powerhead on an OLD style valve body.

image courtesy pexsupply.com

The kit includes a new 'ball' so for all intents, you are completely rebuilding the valve anyway.

all i have to do is drain the house system of water..
Before you drain the whole system and make a lot more work for yourself having to refill it and purge all the air out of the pipes (which can be a pita!), first look all around the boiler for any valves that you can close to isolate the sections of piping that the valves are installed on. With any luck you won't have to drain the whole system.

Whenever you work on a boiler system, ALWAYS look for a way to do the work with the LEAST amount of water draining.

Did you pay a ton of money for the new valves?

You could have bought the conversion kit, and just the power head:

If you have the model with the red and yellow wires:

40003916-026 - Honeywell 40003916-026 - Replacement Head for V8043E Zone Valves

If you have the model with the terminal strips:

40003916-048 - Honeywell 40003916-048 - Replacement Head for V8043F Zone Valves

Maybe you can return the ones you bought?

Last edited by NJT; 12-13-12 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 10:50 AM
Z

Hello all! well heres my big delema...

I have an old riello boiler, dater 1980. give it yearly oil fitler changes...FOr a while now, (2 thermostats in house, 2 zone valves, and one near tank) it has been tunrung on and running long durations,..so! i got a new valve! its a honeywell 1020.

now the did get the adapter kit, form pex suplpys, i took the new valve off the new fitting and plate, used the adapter kit , ( so i woulnd thave to cut the old valve out of pipe), installed new gasket ect..fit great. i did let the pressure out of boiler and all pipes as honeywells instructions said to do so...

thiers 3 water hose connectors, so turned water back on, and used jhose in 5 gallon bucket till it ran clear. ell we do have hot water...however the new valve, hot water wont go past it. ( its up about 6 feet on a pipe floor to ceiling. the air scopp is mkaing small ships noises so it i s working. we do have water pressure...but no heat in house!

the taco circulator, 007-F5, was making a noise inside like ti wanted to move, but couldnt. hot water built up in it(feeling it) and most isnt going too upper pipes so theirs heat in house. roomate seems to think its near dead and needs replaced.

I have tried purging the air out with hose, and all valves open...3 times over. could the new honeywell 1020 be defective? we both made sure ALL wires were put back as found in original order of original valve...

what gives with it? its COLD here, and would love househeat!

anyt ruths and info apprecitated all!!

Last edited by NJT; 12-13-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 10:58 AM
Z
Forgot to metion..it has a honeywell triple aquastat..it was replaced about 5-6 years ago..but have been told by the standard oil guy installing it, they were prone to failure after short time..could that be casuing it?

Old 12-13-12, 02:35 PM
NJT
Good gosh Ziggy, you've gotten yourself into a right pickle, haven't you?

I'm 100% certain that your problems are because the system is still full of air.

You need to take pictures of all the pipes and valves around the boiler so we can instruct as to how you get the air out.

I merged the 'backstory' of the valve repair into your new thread so readers have a 'history' of what went down before.

Can't say I didn't warn you about air in the system beforehand!

Old 12-13-12, 02:54 PM
Z
Thaks for replys! i have the honewell vavle, that dosn have the black terminal strips ontop of i..its just a metal box with 2 red wired, 2 yellow, and the syncorn 0002 assembly.
yeah got myself into a real pickle: ( it near freezing in here..so you all seem too think its air in the system>?
i can try to take pics. how do i completely flush the air out? and would air cause the taco circulator too stop moving water?

Old 12-13-12, 03:29 PM
NJT
how do i completely flush the air out?
That's why I need to see CLEAR, IN FOCUS, WELL LIGHTED pics of the system so I can tell you where to put your hose and what valves to turn...

and would air cause the taco circulator too stop moving water?
Yes, absolutely.

Old 12-13-12, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Are you certain the valves are bad? Could be just the motor. Motors can be changed in 5 minutes. Take the motor off & apply 24 volts. If the motor doesn't turn, bad motor.

Old 12-13-12, 05:55 PM
NJT
one zone valve has gone bad
How has it 'gone bad' ? Leaking? Not opening? Not closing? Not firing the boiler when it opens?
Yeah... that's why early on I asked this question, but Zig never came back to answer...

Too bad, we might have been able to save a lot of trouble, eh?

Old 12-14-12, 10:26 AM
Z
What i did, was open ALL valves on the system. klooking at youtube vids, plumbers, for air bleeding, i was suposed to open one valve per zone..i belive we have one zone. that was my mistake.
the circulator was running hot, roomate thinks the heat burned it out..could that be it? i turned the thermostat in house (2) up too 80,l and no heat coming through...could the new zone valve be connected wrong? It is working when energized...

Old 12-14-12, 12:49 PM
NJT
That's why I need to see CLEAR, IN FOCUS, WELL LIGHTED pics of the system so I can tell you where to put your hose and what valves to turn...
The first thing you need to do before guessing at all this is to take these pictures and allow us to instruct you as to how best flush the air out of your system. After that, we can talk if it's still not working.