Honeywell 8148A sequence of operation - Ultimately, tieing into wood boiler.

Old 12-04-12, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell 8148A sequence of operation - Ultimately, tieing into wood boiler.

According to the spec sheet of the 8148A, when a zone is called for heat, the aquastat relay signals (in my case) the primary circulator to turn on and at the same time, the oil boiler to fire.

The 8148A is an immersion type located in a well of my existing oil fired supply riser.

What I intend to do is install a wood boiler which requires a primary loop and the wood boilers circulator circulates water through this primary loop whenever the supply temp reaches 150F. This primary loop will include the supply/return headers of my oil boiler, which house the feeds/returns for each zone.

Can I relocate the 8148A into the supply header (part of the primary loop) which will see 150-190F (whenever the wood boiler circulates) and "trick" the 8148A into thinking it's satisfied? Would the 8148A turn on the oil circulator when a zone calls for heat (trying to avoid because the wood boiler circulator can provide HW to the zones)? I'm assuming because the 8148A will be satisfied, it won't trigger the oil boiler to fire, correct?

Then, when the wood boiler dies, water temps fall below 150, the 8148A resumes normal operation to trigger the oil circ and burner.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 08:25 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What make/model wood boiler? I would like to see manufacturers piping and control recommendations before commenting much.

It is always advisable to retain all of the original control functions and pipe the system as you describe; such that in order to switch from oil to wood heat source all you need to do is build a fire. Everything should be 'automatic', no valves to turn, no switches to switch...

Make/model of boiler and oil burner would be good too.

Old 12-04-12, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood boiler is an econoburn 100. These boilers are pretty self sufficient when it comes to controls. Can be a stand-alone system or tied into an existing boiler. But, the manual does indicate to install such that it doesn't interfere with the primary boilers performance should the econoburn extinguish. Existing oil boiler is a trainco heatmaker D-max 120. You'll see in the first page of the link that the boiler is packaged with a supply manifold (I call it a riser)where the 8148A is housed. Supply header runs perpindicular (here's where I would like to tie in my primary loop for the econoburn) and can I relocate the 8148A into the supply before any branches to any zones?
http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...Oil_Boiler.pdf

Old 12-04-12, 02:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Can't seem to find a manual for the EBW on-line... know of one?

You are planning on teeing the supply from the EBW into the header off the Trianco.

What do you have planned for the return?

Is the existing system zone valves and one pump? Where are they located? (supply/return?)

So I take it the EBW is set up with it's own pump as well, and when there's a fire in the woody you want any heat calls to NOT fire the oiler and it's own pump?