Boiler sizing

Old 12-14-12, 11:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler sizing

Hello, I have been lurking on this site for a week or two trying to buile up some information knowledge for upgrading my boiler at some point this year. I stumbed across what i feel may be a great deal but I have a feeling it may be too oversized for my application so I may past on it. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on boiler sizing based on my info (I know its not a series J just trying to decide if I even pursue this)
My house in a 1949 ranch comletly square outside dimensions are 41x41 so roughly 1700 square feet. It is single story and I have filled the whole attic with r40 blown in cellulose. All the windows were replaced in 1978 with anderson double pain. The downside is the front half of the house 1200 sf is basement to 1st floor ceiling cinderblock construction, I pulled down all the walls on the east and north side and placed 2" foam inside the walls and taped all joints with new sheetrock. Approximate window area of the whole house is 60sf in the east, 30sf in the north, 102sf to the west. No windows on the south side(i have a 6ft alley way between the house and the garage.
The house is located in northern NJ. I also do suppliment the heat with a wood burning stove in the large familyroom on the east side of the house.
Looking at the buderus G115ws the one I can get a deal on is the 98,000 btu though which I feel may be too large.
OH and I also have a Bradford white indirect 60gal + 3 heating zones
Thanks,
Jonathan
(AKA wolfjon)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 12:19 PM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The first thing you'll want to do (and need) is a heat loss calculation. Check this sticky thead for some good info.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...nt-boiler.html

Old 12-14-12, 12:33 PM
W
I read that and I have been looking online for a series J guide. I already measured all of the windows and rooms and drew that out on my works CAD system. I have to verify if the boiler was the 115/3 or /4 if its the 3 that is the smallest they make if its the 4 it may be too large.

Old 12-14-12, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Slant fin has one for hanheld select devices. Limited time. Not sure how it works.

Heat Loss Calculator (iPhone/iPad)

Here is the old slant fin heat loss calc to download to your computer.

Contact Us - P.V. Sullivan Supply Co., Inc.

Old 12-14-12, 01:04 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Jon, go to this link and download the Slant-Fin heat loss program...

Contact Us - P.V. Sullivan Supply Co., Inc.

Old 12-14-12, 01:39 PM
W
Looking at the quick calculations online I am coming up with approximatly 74,000 btu and then acounting for heating days it drops to 64,000 so unfortunatly the unit I can get the pricing on was the g115/4 not the -3 so that will be too oversized for my house. I am planning on doing a addition in the future but it keeps getting held off due to the economy and that would up my house size to appoximatly 2200 plus a radient floor in the garage but who knows if that will ever actually become reality.