burner electric switch

Old 12-19-12, 07:25 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question burner electric switch

My old victorian house has no electric on/off switch for the oil burner/boiler on the second floor at the top of the basement stairs. Someone said new code would require that. How important would it be for me to have an electrician add that? Is it needed, and why?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 07:55 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
You have no emergency shut off switch for your boiler?
I would add one regardless of the code requirement. Make sure it's in an easy to access location, preferably closer to the access point of the boiler area, but away from the boiler.
It's really an just a switch (like a light switch) that cuts the power so it would simply go between the breaker pannel and your first connection on the boiler system.

Definitely consult the building code for exact info, but I would put one in.

Old 05-07-13, 02:50 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had the emergency switch put in. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 05-07-13, 04:44 PM
G
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
I'm not sure of any of your applicable local codes, but my personal preference would be to have the emergency switch at the top of the basement stairs. Unfortunately, mine is right next to the boiler. But I did put a large, red tag on the branch circuit breaker, labeled "Boiler." I also have a 200-A main circuit breaker in the garage that cuts off all power to the house.

I have witnessed a stuck-open gas valve. Shutting off the electric supply won't help then - then, you need to shut off the gas at the meter or at the manual valve ahead of the boiler. I now have two, redundant, 24-V electric gas valves to my boiler.