Need Peerless DE gas series normal operation advice

Old 12-28-12, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Peerless DE gas series normal operation advice

Hello all!

I don't have much experience with natural gas boilers, I just need a sanity check on proper operation .....

I have a peerless DE-03-SV-WPC boiler. I think my tenant is running her heat to the max. For about 30-45 minutes I observed the circulation pump running constantly (might not be unusual here).

However, the ignition and burn cycle seemed odd to me. For the entire time I observed this boiler running, the gas would turn on, flame would burn for a short cycle around 15-20 seconds, turn off for about 20-30 seconds, and repeat.

This persisted for the entire time I was able to observe; circulation pump on constant, and this short intermittent burn cycle. Her heat "works" but I'm worried something is wrong here that I need to correct.

Does that sound normal? If not, what might cause a short intermittent burn cycle like that?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-12, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Since its not a condensing boiler, I would say no its not normal. You would have to post temps of the boiler gauge during this cycle.

The boiler could not possibly cool enough in 30 seconds to kick back on.

Possibly you have a leak and cold water is flooding the boiler.....

http://www.peerlessboilers.com/Deskt...hod=attachment

Old 12-29-12, 02:09 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
No, it is not normal. Most obvious cause is a circulation problem. Several other causes as well. Please post several clear, in focus pictures of the installation.

Old 12-29-12, 10:06 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
the entire time I observed this boiler running, the gas would turn on, flame would burn for a short cycle around 15-20 seconds, turn off for about 20-30 seconds, and repeat.

This persisted for the entire time I was able to observe; circulation pump on constant, and this short intermittent burn cycle.
Did you hear the 'tick' 'tick' of the spark ignition each time the burner re-fired?

Wait... might not apply... I believe this boiler has a hot surface ignitor... it won't tick.

I think you've got issue with flame sensing rod...

Old 01-05-13, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks all who tried to answer my question

The end result was that the gas valve itself seems to have gone bad. At first the symptom seemed to be a sensor of some kind, like it wasn't registering that the flame was active. The ignition sensor was suspect, as was the pressure switch for the vent; neither helped. Seems like there is some sort of flow/pressure sensor of some kind inside the electronic valve itself.