Punctured radiant floor tubing

Old 01-04-13, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Punctured radiant floor tubing

Hi,

I would like to know if a radiant floor water circuit which tubing has been punctured can be closed so the rest of the system can still function properly?

I'm asking this because a tube has been punctured today in my system and I would like to keep the heating system running because it is my main heating source in the house.

Thank you for any help
Max

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Depends on how it was set up.
Where your in-floor tubes go, one side has actuators that control the flow as per thermostats.. what is on the 'other' header ? Do the tubes just terminate to a header pipe, or are there valves w/o actuators ? Post a pic if you're not sure.

Old 01-04-13, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a picture of my system:

Name:  DSC_0178.jpg
Views: 5374
Size:  42.2 KB

Old 01-04-13, 08:49 PM
Here is a better picture of the manifolds.

Name:  DSC_0180.jpg
Views: 16046
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 01-04-13, 09:22 PM
Nice tight setup there !

Looks like Wirsbo manifolds, but Im not sure what those are on the non-actuator manifold.. are they flow meters ?
On the actuator manifold, you can take off an actuator and see the top of the valve thats inside the manifold. You should be able to get a matching valve and replace one of those flow meters (?) with it, then just manually turn it to closed (a cap with adjusting tool fits on top of the valve as a dust cover). Disconnect the actuator power wire, and that zone is sealed off.

Old 01-05-13, 08:23 AM
I've checked the manifolds and they are Vanguards that come from CB Supplies. I went on their website to read the product description and as you said, there are flow gauges on the supply header.

Here is the link to the product page : Vanguard Pipe & Fittings Ltd. - Pex, Hydronics, and Geothermal Products Manufacturer

IS this the valve I would need to close the broken loop?
Vanguard Manifold Balancing Valve - Lowe's Canada

Also, do you think it would be possible to repair the broken tubing from underneath the floor? I have access to the plywood floor from my basement.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-05-13, 05:16 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It looks to me like this 'circuit cap' on page A6 of this catalog is what you would want to close off that loop at the manifold. Pull the tubing out and cap it until you can repair it.

http://www.vanguard.ca/catalogues/Va...hermal_Cat.pdf

But if you have access to the tubing and can see where the puncture is, yes, of course, just repair it!

Old 01-05-13, 07:37 PM
Ah.. I was thinking it was broken in a slab (happened to my neighbor).

A balancing valve should be able to close all the way, but I dont know if I would trust it if further leaking will be causing you more damage ? An on/off valve would close properly, as per design.

Best, as Trooper said, is to repair that puppy. You may need the expander tool (rental ?) depending on the fittings you use to put a new chunk in.