Replacing 8124a aquastat. what model to buy? help?

Old 01-05-13, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing 8124a aquastat. what model to buy? help?

I have been replacing most parts of a old oil burnham boiler. i still have the original 8124a aquastat from 22 years ago. it sometimes just shuts down 30 seconds after starting and has new r7284u primary that shows no lockouts or errors. so i believe its the aquastat. what do you recommend as a replacement? for the same money the new electronic aquastats should save some oil by adjusting temp for the seasons. i have been lookin at the L7224u and the hydrostat 3250. anyhelp with picking a good one will be great. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 09:15 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Consider also the Beckett AquaSmart.

Why do you have a 'triple' aquastat on your boiler? Do you use the boiler with a 'thankless coil' to make hot water for the home?

I always suggest actually diagnosing the problem before becoming a 'tinkertician' and throwing parts at a problem until it 'goes away'.

When you say it 'just shuts down', you mean burner off AND the circulator pump off as well?

When it craps out, what steps are taken to get it to work again?

Is your system ZONED with electric zone valves or pumps?

What model is your boiler?

Old 01-06-13, 09:48 AM
thanks for the reply, my boiler is old burnham with becket af with a tankless coil that was cut off before i bought the house and now has a boch indirect water heater with its own circulator. it also has a field controls swg-4hd powervent that i just replaced this summer with a new one and has been working great. yesterday i had to repair pressure switch in old venter control box as it was stuck, its a ck-62 with old style thermal ppc-4 purge control in the stack. i have a brand new ck-63 venter control that has electronic purge that i want to put in but manual says it needs a selonoid oil cutoff pump which i dont have yet.
anyways everything shuts off 1 min after starting,powrvent , cir,burner,everything. on my primary r7284u the screen shows no lockouts or errors. cad cell ohms show good.
after a few minutes system starts up and finishes runnin and supplying heat. i dont touch a thing. i tested the 2 old taco zone valves and the work fine. thanks for any help.

Old 01-06-13, 09:52 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, fine, but WHAT MODEL is the boiler?

Old 01-06-13, 10:40 AM
i dont really know but it say rs-109 burnham, also says 98 mbh heating capacity. if that helps any?

Old 01-06-13, 08:04 PM
i just took a look at the beckett aquasmart 7600. it also uses a algorithm like the hydrstat 3250 to lower boiler temps by usage. does anybody have either these? i cant seem to find any info or feedback on which one is good.

Old 01-20-13, 10:13 PM
well i just installed a hydrostat 3250 and it seems to be runnin good. i set the hi limit to 180 and the lo limit to 140. i guess it needs some time for the ecomomy program to learn. its shuting down boiler at 150 and only lets it get to hi limit of 180 when the indirect water tank calls for heat. i also turned on the purge feature, it turns circulator on and lets boiler temp go way down before starting burner to bring it back up, its suposed to save oil but i dont know.
i will see how it runs next couple of days as its going to get real cold in new england.