No Heat on 2nd floor

Old 01-06-13, 11:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Heat on 2nd floor

Hello All,

I've been browsing this site for a couple of days now trying to figure this out and I want to start by saying thank you for putting all of this information out there.

I'm going to preface this by saying that the previous owner of the house was a bit of a DIYer that obviously had no clue what he was doing. In hindsight, I should have never bought the house or I should have sought legal action with the home inspector for not finding all of the things wrong with it after I found them... but that's besides the point and 5 years in the past, I was young and stupid and things are slowly coming together.

Now to the point. I have no heat on my 2nd floor. I only have one zone (1 thermostat on the 1st floor). See Diagram.

This is how the piping appears to me. I'm not familiar with the terminology of all of the parts, but I'll try to describe them.

Several times today I have "bled" the system. There are no bleeder valves on the radiators, so I open the release valve on the return, close the spigot underneath it and run fresh water through the system. I can hear and feel the water running through all of the pipes, even upstairs. The hose was definitely spurting a lot of air. So after about 10 minutes or so, when it seemed like the stream was nice and steady, I opened the spigot, closed the release valve and shut off the fresh water. My PSI sits at around 15 or so.

There are zone control valves on each of the returns, but they are not hooked up to anything and are in the MANUAL OPEN position. I do not think they are the problem as they both seem to flow freely. (I was experimenting with on off positions of various valves while I was running water through)

I know I'm probably not providing enough information here, but I was just wondering if there was anything I'm missing. Anything obvious that I might try or if I'm doing something wrong with my bleeding technique. I want to try my best before I call in a pro, as money is a bit of an issue.Name:  Heating Diagram.jpg
Views: 4049
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 01-06-13, 12:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stop adding fresh water to your system. That only adds more air. What kind of radiators do you have?

Can you take pictures of your boiler and all of its surrounding piping and post it for us?

Old 01-06-13, 03:03 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
I should have sought legal action with the home inspector for not finding all of the things wrong with it
Well... good luck with that, even if it was yesterday. If you still have the contract around, check the fine print... what you wanna bet it says in legal mumbo jumbo floobydust... " I'm not responsible if I don't find something..."

Yes, many pictures will help us help you.

The FIRST thing to look at when there are reports of or problems with the 'top floor' not heating is SYSTEM PRESSURE.

Tell us what the pressure AND temperature gauge is reading.

Please read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

After we see pics we can help further.

Old 01-06-13, 05:17 PM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
Nobody, not even an experienced home inspector, can find "everything" wrong with a house, even if it's brand new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: