Boiler at +75 psi

Old 01-09-13, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler at +75 psi

This evening I noticed a lot of waterfall sound in my baseboards upstairs so I went down to the cellar to check on the air purge valve and see if I couldn't see what was going on. When I was down there I noticed that the pressure gauge was pegged out.

I shut the system down, and cut off the feed lines to the boiler, after 30 min the pressure hadn't moved. After turning off the return valves as well I drained the boiler but the pressure gauge still won't move.

So... broken pressure gauge? Something else? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 07:47 PM
Left off - It's a 30 year old oil fired Weil-McLein.

Old 01-09-13, 07:52 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the 30 PSI relief valve wasn't spewing, and when you let the pressure off the boiler the gauge didn't move, then yes, sounds like a busted gauge.

Read these two posts for some helpful maintenance info:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 01-09-13, 08:02 PM
Thanks NJ Trooper, that's what I thought, but it's always nice to hear it from someone who knows more than I do!

The pressure tank is only a few years old. So I'm fairly sure it's okay. I can't get to the store to get a pressure valve until tomorrow. With the air in the system I'm worried about the purge valve even though that also is only a couple of years old (2007 was a good year for my heater service guy).

My inclination is to refill and fire it back up till I can work on it tomorrow, even with the current warm spell here in Philly it's still cold.

Old 01-09-13, 08:17 PM
NJT
The pressure tank is only a few years old. So I'm fairly sure it's okay.
I guarantee that if you check it you will find the air charge pressure to be LOW. They lose 1-2 PSI annually. It is what it is. If that tank has been installed more than 3-4 years, there is probably only about 5 PSI in the tank. (make sure to read the sticky post for how to properly do so, you can NOT just stick a tire gauge on it if there is pressure in the boiler. You will get a false reading.)

Expansion tank is the most neglected system component. By maintaining the air charge annually, or at LEAST bi-annually, you will greatly extend the life of the tank because the rubber diaphragm won't be flexing all out of shape...

My inclination is to refill and fire it back up till I can work on it tomorrow
But how will you know how much pressure to fill to? You don't have a gauge that works... fill too much and don't check the tank charge, and you will have the safety relief valve blowing open in the middle of the night...

While you have the pressure out of the boiler, at LEAST grab your tire gauge and check/charge the tank before you try to refill... then at least you have a chance...

Old 01-09-13, 08:33 PM
Good thoughts, thank you again.

Sounds like it's time to burn some late night oil offline... and I might decide to just suck it up and deal with the cold for the night.

Brrrr.... at least it's only supposed to get down to the mid thirties tonight...

Old 01-09-13, 08:38 PM
Last question - The procedure you've written for checking the bladder pressure specifically says to not drain the boiler, since that is already done is it still possible to get a good read?

Old 01-09-13, 09:07 PM
NJT
I hope that you didn't 'DRAIN' your boiler, only drop the pressure to zero...

I made that statement because when checking the tank it's not necessary to drain all the way and is a LOT more work to get the system back up and running due to the fact that you now have to get all that air out...

But yes, as long as the pressure is zero on the boiler side of the tank you are good to go.

Old 01-09-13, 09:34 PM
Crisis averted, and guess what? Pressure in the bladder was at 7 psi. 5 yrs and 5 psi, good call NJ! Sounds like I have something to add to the annual maintenance list.

I pulled the clear cover off of the gauge and a flick sent it to 0 psi. Obviously it needs to be replaced, but as the system refilled and the furnace kicked on it is at least reading where it should be (around 17 psi).

I really can't thank you enough! Where do I send the WaWa gift card? :-)

Old 01-09-13, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Send it to me.....I'll see that he gets it

Old 01-10-13, 02:03 PM
NJT
Send it to me.....I'll see that he gets it
I'll be at the one at West Park and Shafto at about 4:38 this afternoon... meet ya there!

ha ha ha ha... you funny PJ!