honeywell aquastat relay L8148A

Old 01-10-13, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
honeywell aquastat relay L8148A

About every year or two I lose the 115v power out of this relay which drives the circulating pump. The 115v power out of the relay that activates the furnace seems to continue to work fine. This is always the case. Does anyone know why this could be happening and how to stop it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-13, 06:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know why this could be happening and how to stop it?
Possibly bad solder. We've seen a LOT of this type of thing lately. The solder connections where the relay mounts to the board crack and lose connection.

Do you still have the old one(s) that you've replaced?

Can you work a solder iron with reasonable skill level?

Old 01-11-13, 11:26 PM
I had that solder issue a couple years back but it was on the B1 lead. Of course it happened on New Years Day and I was 2 states away skiing with the kids while wife was home.

My friend had no clue why so did a temporary switched lead from line to burner with instructions to wife to stand there until boiler was at temp and then shut off. she did that hourly so house had heat. I got home late that night.

When we took the aquastat apart you could easily see where the bad terminal was as there was an arc burn on the fiber cover. Quick resolder and back in business.

New aquastat is always an option but more costly.

Old 01-21-13, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys. I just got back from skiing in Utah with the wife and kids as well. It's funny how these things happen at bad times. I suspected something like this but I am frustrated that this is the third one I need to replace for the identical reason. I will look to see if I see any defects on the board. I assume it will be easy enough to spot. I have access to soldering equipment and can give it a try. Thanks again.

Old 01-21-13, 06:56 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I assume it will be easy enough to spot.
Sometimes yes, if you know what to look for, sometimes not so obvious.

Google the term "cold solder joint" and click 'images' for tons of pics what to look for.