very cold outside and inside, some noises

Old 01-16-13, 08:49 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
very cold outside and inside, some noises

Hi, I have a Weil-McLain Gold CGa that's a few years old (just bought this house a few months ago) and I've purged the system and filled it back up and it seemingly works fine minus the fact that I need to adjust my high/low set points as it's set at 140 max now and it can't heat the house above 55 when it's 0 or -5F out.

My biggest question is I notice noises at night, not the boiler kicking on or the circulator but something else. Doesn't sound like air bubbles nor gurgling but whooshing and not all the time. It's weird. Maybe it's like a rumbling that kind of alternates... I'm not sure but it bothers me. If anyone has any ideas that'd be great, I will try to find out more info tonight by recording or better describing the noise.

Thanks

Old 01-16-13, 12:57 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
140 deg high is too low, and could cause boiler damage due to condenstation. Jack it up to, say, 175-180 deg hi.

Tell use the boiler pressure at the new elevated temp and when it is cooled down to room temp.

Old 01-16-13, 04:11 PM
I
Well I only have one little dial, so i cranked that up to 200 and it looks like it fires until it hits 180, turns off and temp then goes up to 185-190. Pressure is approximately 20psi, it was about 20psi when it was around 140.

One weird noise when i was sitting there, drinking a beer and watching my boiler (fun fun!) is i think some air is hitting my circulator and causing some disruption but right above the circulator is a air trap/relief but nothing seems to come out. Anyways... thanks for helping!

Old 01-16-13, 04:28 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Is the valve cap loosened on the air eliminator so air can escape? Photos of your system would help.

Old 01-17-13, 11:49 AM
I
Valve cap is loosened. I'll take some photos tonight, the ones i have to post aren't of the entire system so I don't think they're good enough to get the entire idea...

I thought more about the sound and it kind of sounds like a cats low growl meets a whoosh. Like I said, I think it's air hitting the circulator because when there's no air in it the system is fairly quiet.

This morning the house was 60deg and it was -3 outside, much better, I imagine with the sun today the house will be a warm 65.

Attached Images    
Old 01-17-13, 02:42 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
turns off and temp then goes up to 185-190. Pressure is approximately 20psi, it was about 20psi when it was around 140.
It sounds as if you are saying that the pressure gauge never moves?

If it's 20 at 185 and 20 when it's at 140, then I suspect the gauge is poop.

It SHOULD go higher the hotter the boiler.

Boiler COLD should go to no less than 12.

Old 01-18-13, 07:44 AM
I
Hmmmm good call. Off to the hardware store to build a temporary one. When I purged/filled it cold it was definitely at 12 but i feel as if maybe once it heats up the gauge can't handle anymore.

I still have noises though, maybe it's in the baseboards themselves with air trapped in the corners... i don't know

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: