Gas Furnace needs thermostat restart and still doesn't heat the radiators enough

Old 01-21-13, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Furnace needs thermostat restart and still doesn't heat the radiators enough

I have a gas furnace in basement, radiators, steam, and last year it all worked but this year i am having problems with heat not staying on. It will just stop working, until i go to thermostat and restart it. These restarts, shutting off and on, turn the furnace on and it starts working but then it shuts off again.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
You'll need to give us a more accurate description of what you have.

Do you have a natural gas hot water boiler ?

Can you give a us a make and model number for the unit ?

Old 01-21-13, 11:07 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Guessing what you have, it sounds like you are restarting the ignition control module. You need to give us more information.

Old 01-22-13, 11:35 AM
I do have natural gas, I do have a a hot water boiler. Not sure what model or make numbers you need but here is a picture: http://i.imgur.com/BayAews.jpg

Does that help?

Old 01-22-13, 03:36 PM
No, that does not help. Remove the door and take a picture of the gas valve and or controls in the boiler.

Old 01-22-13, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the boiler.

Observe the sequence of events at the boiler which occurs when you turn up the thermostat and report that sequence here in detail.

When the boiler fails to start, check the boiler again and see at what point that sequence has stopped, and report that here as well.

Old 01-22-13, 06:56 PM
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it. I went downstairs and made many more pictures, please check them out here: Furnace - Imgur

If you can help me identify any of the pieces in the pictures I would like to learn more about the furnace components (or point me to a diagram or something).

So, I turned off the thermostat, turned it back on, and went downstairs to observe. About a minute later or less, I heard a click, then the heard and saw the fire. It was on just like a stove for 5 minutes, then it turned off, 10 seconds later it tried to turn on, bunch of clicking, it finally turned on and it was a strong fire again, but like 40 seconds later it just shut off, no more clicking, no more anything...

PM
hvactechfw: I will try to remove the door now, is that located next to the pilot?

Old 01-22-13, 07:49 PM
So, I took the plate of near the pilot. There wasn't much behind it but now you can see more pictures: Furnace - Imgur

Here are the image behind the plate:

So, any ideas based on the pics and my previous report on the sequence of events when furnace turns on?

Old 01-22-13, 08:06 PM
You have an intermitent pilot ignition system on a burnham steam boiler. My guess is that your low water cutoff is cutting out the flame that or your operating limit is shutting the system down. I really recommend having a steam boiler technician service and show you the way around a steam boiler. You should be blowing down the LWCO and feed assembly weekly.

Old 01-22-13, 09:03 PM
hvactechfw: Thank you so much for the help. I am going to look into finding a steam boiler technician but where, yellow pages? In the meantime, can you tell me more about the operating limit? Can I configure it to work better? How do I blow down the LWCO and feed assembly?

Old 01-22-13, 09:14 PM
again, these are things that should be shown to you in person so that you don't hurt yourself and can have full understanding of the boiler operation.

I would use the yellow pages and ask your neighbors. Ask contractors if they work on steam boilers; in my area most don't and recommend my employer because we do a lot of boiler work.

Old 01-22-13, 09:18 PM
So you don't want to tell me how to blow down the LWCO? I assume it involves taking out the water using the bottom valve... I did that before and when I take a lot of it out the furnace shuts off. When I add a lot of water, it turns back on. Can you give me any tips?

Old 01-22-13, 09:39 PM
I can't really over the internet, I will see if one of the boiler mods wants to take a crack at it.

Old 01-23-13, 08:19 AM
In terms of blowing down the LWCO, do I have to do that with an electronic low water cutoff? Because, if you look at my pictures, I have this honeywell low water cutoff: HONEYWELL | BOILERS | LOW WATER BOILER CUT-OFF | Surplus City Liquidators

Anything else I can try to do?

Old 01-23-13, 09:01 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
This could be a water issue... maybe...

BUT, it sounds to me as though it could also be a gas valve control issue as well. Perhaps the flame rod is sending marginal signal to the ignition control. This could cause the erratic operation.

Steam heat systems require that the homeowner perform certain periodic maintenance operations... if you are unaware of what should be done on a regular basis, I highly recommend that you get and read this book...

Heating Help