Circulator Pump not working properly when needed

Old 01-22-13, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circulator Pump not working properly when needed

Here is the situation. I have a B&G 1/12 HP Pump that is designed to push water to the 2nd floor. There are 3 zones on the 2nd Floor. Zone # 1 (Master) Zone # 2 (Kid # 1 & 2) and Zone # 3 (Kid # 3). The Pump is wired (white black to priority zone) on the circuit board shown in teh pictures below. When the zones call for heat, the green lights turns on first (2 wires) red and white going to the thermostat and then the red lights turns on a few seconds later opening the "Honeywell controller" valves. (These are the orange, red, black and white). The ends switch wire in the "5 zone Circuit Board with End Switch" runs down to another board "Priority Zone Control Board".

Now here is where it gets interesting. The pump does not turn on at all. Then I go back to the board and remove the wiring for the 1st thermostat and sometimes the circulator pump kicks on. Could a thermostat that is calling for heat that sends a signal down to the board (even though both lights are lit) be causing this problem? Meanwhile the boiler fires up when there is heat being called for. The plumber just spent 5 hours (2 guys) replacing and troubleshooting the system and replacing the aquastat controller. So there is hot water and heat on the first floor and showers. These 3 pumps are working fine.

So here is the 9 million dollar question. The board is calling for heat. All the lights are lit up (Green & Red). There is an amber light that is not lit up like the similar board just below for the 1st floor, but somewhat lit up? What could possibly be wrong that there is no power being sent to the priority zone to turn on the heat? What sends the signal? Is it the end zone wiring that is routed down to the priority zone from one board to another? Could there be something wrong with the board? Thermostat? Or the wiring (simple fix) with new wiring. All the connections are good. Is it possible the pump is locked? There is no amperage to the pump when the red light on the priority zone board is not lit. I need to figure out what gets that red light on to turn the pump on. Thank you.
Name:  Honeywell Controllers.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  30.7 KBName:  Priority Zone Control Module.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  38.3 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 05:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have moved your post to a more appropriate forum.