Question about boiler going out..

Old 01-23-13, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about boiler going out..

Hello all.

I have an apartment building where the first floor has radiator heat. I have an issue that is kind of maddening. I have no problem getting the pilot lit, and haven't had an issue getting the actual burners (not sure if that is the correct terminology) to fire up and begin to heat the water.

My issue is that for whatever reason, the burners and the pilot light go out approx 5-6 hours after lighting. When re-lighting, I have no problems getting everything to start again, but it will go back out.

My tenant has chosen to wait until the coldest day of the year (literally) to get the gas turned on in her unit. Saturday was the first time that I turned the boiler on since winter of 2011, as the unit was vacant all through the winter of 2012, so it's been awhile since they have been used.

The last time we used them, it took a couple of times with similar results (would turn on, then shut off), before it wasn't an issue. I was curious if the boilers sit for a long time if this is something that is normal, or do I need to look into something else?

Sorry for the novel, I appreciate any help (also apologize for lack of terminology, I'm not the handiest person around).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-13, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Sound like the thermocouple is faulty. Have you changed it?

What is the make and model boiler?

Is there a low water cut off? Is this a steam unit?

Old 01-23-13, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not 100% if it's been changed or not. I had a service around 3-4 years ago and I ‚Äčthink‚Äč they may have replaced that.

I'll check the model this evening.

Honestly, I'm not sure what a low water cut off is, I'm ASSuming its where the boiler will not heat if the water is at a low level? If that's the case, I don't think that's the issue, because we have bled the radiators about 6 weeks ago.

Old 01-23-13, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
OK not steam then.

Yes I would say change the thermcouple.... Post the make and model when you can.

Tell us what the temp an pressure gauge read on the boiler too......