oil filter question

Old 01-24-13, 12:20 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil filter question

bought this filter at Lowes. Curious if anyone has any experience with this brand compared to the felt version.
Name:  New Image.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 01-24-13, 04:30 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've always used the felt, but it's followed by a pair of spin on jobs for finer filtration.

I believe that type is a finer filtration than the felt... it may require more frequent replacement if your tank is old and sludgey.

Do you have a vacuum gauge on your fuel line? They are nice to let you know when it's time to change filters...

Patriot Supply - Filter Life Indicator

Old 01-25-13, 06:24 AM
P
Trooper;

Wondering what type of spin on filters you use. I use the white element shown in this post, and after a 6 month interval both the pump screen and the nozzle screen have sludge...main filter is also quite dirty. I will get the vaccum guage from Patriot Suppy.

Old 01-25-13, 07:06 AM
NJT
My setup is a General 25 FELT filter at the tank, and directly next to that is the Suntec unit which Patriot is no longer selling... the filter head has a combined "OSV" (Oil Safety Valve).

After pipe goes through the wall, near the burner is ANOTHER spin on... not sure which one I used, but it's on this page:

Patriot-Supply.com

Most guys like the Gar-ber filters, some (Grady) don't like the Westwood... I've not had any trouble with them myself.

I have a small nozzle (no, not a personal problem!) and did not want to take chances with sludge clogging that 0.50 GPH nozzle in the middle of January.

My tank was new in '06, so was pretty clean, although we did transfer about 200 gallons from the old tank... the felt filter gets pretty cruddy... I changed the first spin on after 4 years even though it still was not showing excessive vacuum... it HAD raised but could probably have gotten another year out of it.

The second spin on was added this year with the new boiler... vacuum still negligent.

Old 01-25-13, 08:20 AM
S
PRH77,
I wonder how many have that same issue. My old house I used the General felt ones changed yearly without much issue. New house as of August and not sure what maintenance schedule done (poor one definitely). Boiler was starving for fuel as filter, screen and nozzle filter were sludged heavily. Service man used the same white filter saying they filter to a finer micron level. There was so much sludge in the filter canister it had to be pryed out with a screwdriver.

First time I actually saw sludge past the filter but maybe that was because I changed it yearly.

Old 01-25-13, 09:04 AM
NJT
I don't know exactly how long this has been the case, but I have heard from fairly reliable sources that years ago the fuel oil was produced by a 'straight run distillation' process.

More recently refineries are using a 'catalytic cracking' process which produces product that is not as stable as 'straight run' but squeezes an extra 10-15% yield.

Apparently after some storage time under certain conditions, the HC chains can 're-combine' back into 'crude'...

I'm not 100% on-board with this recombining idea, but I can certainly imagine that a cracking process would certainly produce a 'dirtier' product than a distillation process would.

Still, there is no excuse for not changing filters!

Old 01-25-13, 09:26 AM
P
I change the filter twice a year [ and do a tune and vac on the boiler ], sometimes lots of sludge, sometimes clean. Use the same oil company so go figure. I am going to install a vacuum guage so this should help. For 2 years I used jet fuel I brought home from work in the tank [ 100% ], talk about no sludge and a clean burner for the tune and vac. Miss those days as the fuel was free....drained from Gulfstreams GIVs and as it was not filtered we could not legally put it back in the aircraft.

Old 01-25-13, 02:24 PM
NJT
Good grief! Jet fuel... I know it's basically highly refined diesel... but don't you need to retune the burner to burn that?

Don't wanna 'drift' the topic too far though... it is after all MrBizness' topic...

Old 01-25-13, 03:25 PM
P
The furnace was underfired by quite a bit [still is ] and I set it up with the Tru Spot, CO tester, stack thermo etc. Ran without a hitch for 2 + years. Not that I condone this kind of thing of course.

Old 01-25-13, 03:27 PM
NJT
Not that I condone this kind of thing of course.
Of course!

Jeeze... the things we'll do for free fuel! (I'm not saying anything further! ha ha ha... STILL have that diesel taste in my mouth!)

Old 01-25-13, 06:43 PM
M
I have been having the same scenario I changed it three weeks ago, Boiler developed a misfire so I replaced it with the last felt I had on Monday. There was a small amount of sludge and dirt but it has run good with a lot dirtier filter. After I replaced it ago it still had a slight miss so I gave the top filter nut another 1/4 turn and now its good. Is there a torque spec on the filter bolt?
BTW I thought kerosene was used for jet fuel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: