one of my zones not getting heat, help!

Old 01-25-13, 03:03 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry one of my zones not getting heat, help!

First , I am not a plumber nor pretend to sound like I know what I am talking about boilers and valves. Here is my problem. I have 4 zones basement, first floor, kids room and master bedroom. I have a gas powered furnace. Other zones are working except my master bedroom zone has own thermostat and is not calling up heat to baseboard heating.

Here is what i did. Changed batteries in thermostat and even connecting wires together to call up heat. Also located the zone valve for the master bedroom turned on thermostat and heard and saw the motor running the boiler kicked on but shut off in a few minutes. Also put zone valve on manual to call up heat all went on but no heat went upstairs as well as putting kids thermo on at same time, no heat.

I popped off valve and checked the motor and saw little gear turning . Also I pushed down the spring loaded switch to see if it was not touching the end switch held it there (whatever its called) boiler kicked on but no hot water went upstairs. I feel the pipe below the valve very hot above the valve pipe not as hot and plastic tube going to carry the hot water nothing. When it was working a couple of days ago I would get alot of metal tinging noises from baseboard.

I tried bleeding the line but dont know if i did it correctly, i located the zone it was all labeled closed the valve and opened the line a little water came out. tried it with the valve line closed then the water came out ok shut the line. I also tried adding water pressure just for the hell of it. My pressure gage says 10. Oh by the way this happened before last month and I just shut off system from the thermostat and turne it back on 15 min later but not this time. Sorry about all the info.

What can I do ?

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-25-13 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Broke up large paragraph for easy reading....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Read the sticky's at the top of the forum...http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Your gauge may be off. Read the pressure and temp again and tell us what it reads.

Please post make and model of boiler.

You will need to post several pics for us to help you. All systems are piped differently. By all means you may not have enough water in the boiler from your description. Your gauge may be broke and you have less pressure then you see.

post back...let us know.

Last edited by NJT; 01-25-13 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-25-13, 03:21 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What would you estimate the altitude difference between the master BR and the boiler? How many feet higher is that baseboard than the boiler?

Is your master BR above any unheated spaces such as a garage, an overhang, a front porch? Is there anyplace that the piping disappears inside a wall or floor that might possibly be inadequately insulated? Can you guess what I'm thinking?

Old 01-25-13, 03:29 PM
B
yes I am hoping its not that lol. My kids bedrooms and bathroom are located on same side and get heat. My master bedroom is above first floor thats heated on same side. But I will say I dont put on my masterbedroom heat as much as other zones

Old 01-25-13, 03:33 PM
B
Sorry I would say about 20 ft from boiler to basboard

Old 01-25-13, 04:02 PM
NJT
OK, so 20 feet higher means that when the boiler is COLD, you would need about 13 PSI in the system to raise the water up... and you said your gauge is only reading 10... but it could be inaccurate.

For now, let's presume it is accurate...

At what TEMPERATURE did you read the gauge at 10 PSI?

I would like you to try adding some water to the system to raise the pressure.

Can you take and post some pics of the system? (show gauge closeup) (hint, cell phone pics generally 5uck, so use a real camera if possible!)

Old 01-25-13, 04:14 PM
B
Took pics having trouble uploading them?

Old 01-25-13, 04:17 PM
B
it was read at 150 degrees. If i figure out how to get pics

Old 01-25-13, 04:45 PM
NJT
If you click 'GO ADVANCED' instead of 'Post Quick Reply', there will be an icon that shows a tree in a picture frame.

Most of the time it won't 'go' the first time, clear selection and do it again, it almost always goes the second time.

If still don't work, set up FREE account at Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing | Photobucket and upload pics to a PUBLIC album there. Come back here and place a link to your album and we can look...

Old 01-25-13, 05:27 PM
B
The tree symbol keeps saying file to large but its only one photo. But I have a Burnham furnace,weil Mc LAIN gold plus water heater tank, Taco zone box My pressure gage on the furnace reads Made in holland "ENFM" a little under the 10 psi mark. I tried lifting the lever on the bell shape unit , i hear the water but it does not change the pressure and I get nervous so I switch it back down Sorry for the Amature hour. I will call a plumber

Old 01-25-13, 05:36 PM
B
Tried to upload pictures and had failed attempts tried little tree symbol dont work.
How do you set an album up. It says to go to control panel but dont see a picture album link?

Old 01-26-13, 08:16 AM
NJT
Click on the link in post #9 which will take you to photobucket.com and upload pics there...

Old 01-26-13, 09:35 AM
B
Went to phot bucket and uploaded the pics . Cant figure out how to get them here arghhhhhh!

Old 01-26-13, 09:44 AM
B
NJT EDIT:

Let's just try a link to the album itself instead of the individual posts...

bellanicky2's Library | Photobucket

Last edited by NJT; 01-26-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:32 AM
B
Sent you pictures. What do you think

Old 01-26-13, 11:02 AM
NJT
Well... kinda darkish, and can't see a heckuva lot of details... whoever built your system must like jigsaw puzzles, he sure did fit a lotta stuff in a little space, didn't he?

OK, the pressure gauge showing 150 and 8 PSI ... that's not right... let's first see if we can feed a little water into the system to see if this helps the BR heat... then try to figure out why the pressure is low.

Let us know if lifting that handle does not raise the system pressure.

Name:  breakneck.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  51.8 KB

Old 01-26-13, 03:30 PM
B
I raised the lever a few times . For periods of 30 seconds did nothing. Did I mention that the pipe under the valve is hot and above warm.

Old 01-26-13, 06:41 PM
NJT
I raised the lever a few times . For periods of 30 seconds did nothing.
On the pipe leading to that valve from the domestic water supply, I see a valve on the vertical portion that appears to be OPEN ... are there any other valves on that line which might be closed?

If all valves from the water supply are open, and lifting that handle does NOTHING, then the valve is plugged up and needs to be serviced.

The other side of that valve goes DIRECTLY to the tee fitting between the SpiroVent and the expansion tank? No valve there? (hard to see in pics...)

Did I mention that the pipe under the valve is hot and above warm.
You saying that the horizontal pipe coming off the right side of that that valve is MORE THAN WARM? That shouldn't be...

Is the boiler supply being taken from the HOT WATER supply to the home by any chance? Some installers do that for some reason...

If that pipe is WARM... or above WARM... it could mean that there is a chance that boiler water can enter your drinking water system... you don't want that!

There SHOULD BE a 'backflow preventer' (Watts 9D is a popular one) on that line...

Old 01-27-13, 05:44 AM
B
Sorry about that one, I did not explain it right. When I lifted the handle and all the valves are in the open position, I can hear the water feeding thru , I just meant that by doing this the water pressure gauge did not rise.

Also meant when I call for heat and the zone valve " appears" to be opening the pipe running vertical under the zone valve is hot and the water that supposed to be going up above the zone valve thru the flex hose to the master bedroom is not.

Old 01-27-13, 06:32 AM
NJT
I can hear the water feeding thru ... the water pressure gauge did not rise.
Hmmmm... if you can hear water going in, the gauge should have risen.

It probably means your gauge is toast. Be careful adding more water in this case, you could actually end up OVER pressurizing your system and the relief valve will let loose.

Did you read this? If not, do:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Then after you get that straightened out, read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 01-29-13, 02:03 PM
B
Guess what? , rise in temperature outside, Now I am getting heat in that zone. Can it be just a frozen pipe. But I am still confused, when I felt the flex hose going out of the zone valve to the bedroom it was not hot. Now that it is working I feel the hot water in the hose going up to the bedroom. My confusion is ,was it trapped air, frozen pipe or fooling around with the motor on the zone vavle, that can stop the hot water from going up to the bedroom baseboard . Thank you for all your info and help on this, much appreciated.

Old 01-29-13, 02:24 PM
NJT
Can it be just a frozen pipe.
Yes, sure it can.

But I am still confused, when I felt the flex hose going out of the zone valve to the bedroom it was not hot. Now that it is working I feel the hot water in the hose going up to the bedroom. My confusion is ,was it trapped air, frozen pipe or fooling around with the motor on the zone vavle, that can stop the hot water from going up to the bedroom baseboard .
I think that the overwhelming evidence points to frozen pipe... it stopped working when it was really cold out, and started working again now that the temps have moderated a bit.

It did NOT start working after you fooled with the zone valve or trying to get more pressure in the system...

You still need to fix that gauge though..................

Old 01-29-13, 05:55 PM
B
Thanks for all your great advice. You were right from the beginning. I will get the gauge checked out.