Oil Boiler Tank Replacement

Old 02-05-13, 08:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Boiler Tank Replacement

Hello All,

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am currenyl seeking quotes to replace my above ground oil storage tank. The tank is filled with sludge and looks like the previous owner plugged a small leak. The house was built in the 50's and believe the tank is just as old.

My questions is, how far does the tank have to be away from the actual Oil Boiler. I have a Weil Mclain Gold Oil Boiler. I have been told to follow the specs of the Boiler. But am not well versed and got confused. Do I follow the manufacturer specs? There is approximately 2 1/2 -3 feet of space between the front of the boiler and the side of a tank. Its in an outside storage shed and there is enough room to walk by and there has never been a problem servicing it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 08:58 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have been told to follow the specs of the Boiler.
That doesn't sound like correct advice to me...

I believe that the specs you need to follow are those of the local 'AHJ' (Authority Having Jurisdiction) regarding your "UBC" (Uniform Building Codes), AND the regulations of the "NFPA" (National Fire Protection Association).

Old 02-05-13, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the state code book, but it might as well be in Chinese.

Old 02-05-13, 01:16 PM
NJT
I know what you mean, I think they write them that way to that they can interpret it to say whatever they want it to say depending on their mood that day.

I seem to recall something like 8' ... at least up here ... I don't think I would feel too comfortable with 2-1/2 to 3 feet... I'm pretty sure that the state or county codes would defer to NFPA on this one... do you know any fire inspectors?

Old 02-05-13, 02:04 PM
Some more relevant info can be found in this thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...-question.html

Old 02-06-13, 04:49 AM
Unfortunately I do not know any fire inpectors. Was on the phone all day yesterday trying to get an answer. The company I am looking to have it done is licenesed and insured. They will pull the permits needed. I'll keep you posted on the status of the project if interested. Here are some pictures to give you a better view. From the pictures you can see the distance between the tank and boiler. No one has ever told me it was an issue when it was maintenanced. Thanks again for the advice. Fingers corssed it all works out.

Attached Images   
Old 02-06-13, 05:34 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oil tank location

Per NFPA 31, The Standard for Oil Burner Installation, para 7.5.7 indicates that the tank can be no closer than five feet from the burner. Since most state and local codes either use this NFPA code as written or as a guide for their own code, it's pretty safe to use.

Old 02-06-13, 03:17 PM
NJT
The delivery guy has to pull his hose inside to fill that? I'm a little bit surprised that they agree to that!

No one has ever told me it was an issue when it was maintenanced
This does not surprise me though... they just don't care.

Are you going to have to cut a hole in the wall to get that old tank out? Why not plan on building an addition onto the shed to move the tank further away?