Will L8124C 1003 triple aquastat be the correct replacement for L8024C 1095?

Old 02-07-13, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Will L8124C 1003 triple aquastat be the correct replacement for L8024C 1095?

My 50 yr. old Weil McLain furnace ran well until I encountered this problem. The 8024C 1095 triple aqua stat points are worn. There are four points in a row. The one farthest to the right is almost gone. The other 3 points are good. When I give it power the furnace runs but the pump point arcs and the circulatory pump tries to move but won't start circulating. So I negated that by opening the (TACO 220 universal flocheck valve) and let it flow by gravity/heat rises and causes movement & the temperature in the home gets to about 68 to 71 degrees. Is this ok to do in the meantime? Does it hurt the furnace? Also the circulatory pump was disconnected by my brother so that it won't run by accident. The circulatory pump was tested by a service person and runs without incident when not connected to the furnace. If the points are held together the circulatory pump works and I know holding it isn't a good idea.
So is the aquastat the whole problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-13, 04:17 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Jessie,

Please confirm... this is an OIL FIRED boiler?

Is this ok to do in the meantime? Does it hurt the furnace?
Yes, it's OK, no, it won't hurt it.

One thing you might do to prevent overheating though would be to turn the HIGH setting on the aquastat down a bit. NORMAL setting for the HIGH should be 180F ... you can probably turn it down to 160.

There is a 'gotcha' to this though... the HIGH setting must be at least 20F ABOVE the LOW setting during normal operation. BUT, with your pump disconnected, this is not NORMAL operation...

Tell us what the HIGH, LOW, and DIFF settings currently are on your aquastat and we can advise further on this.

So is the aquastat the whole problem?
It sure sounds like it.

Will L8124C 1003 triple aquastat be the correct replacement for L8024C 1095?
Did you check cross reference at Honeywell.com ?

One thing which might be a potential problem with a replacement is whether or not you have electric ZONE VALVES powered by your aquastat now. I don't think you do... it sounds as if your home is ONE ZONE, with ONE THERMOSTAT. Is that correct?

If only one zone, then the L8124C1003 will work...

L8124C1003 - Honeywell L8124C1003 - High Limit Horizontal Mount Triple Aquastat Relay, High = 10F Diff, Low Limit = 10-25 Adj Differential

If this is an oil fired system, you can also use the L7224U1002

L7224U1002 - Honeywell L7224U1002 - 120 Vac Oil Electronic Aquastat

Old 02-07-13, 04:19 PM
NJT
If you or your brother are able to SAFELY connect your pump to a plug in cord you can run the pump manually by plugging it into the wall.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE 100% CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITY TO DO THIS SAFELY!

Old 02-07-13, 06:22 PM
Thank you for answering. Yes it is an oil fired furnace with one electronic thermastat which has 4 different daily settings and 2 different settings for the weekend. and one zone. I also use the furnace to heat my hot water.

What is confusing me is this: I am curently using the triple aquastst relay type L8024C on the inside of the cover is ratings for ampees for burner and circulator. VAC 120V for burner-full load is 5.0, & locked rotor is 20.0. Ratings in amperes for circulator VAC 120v full load is 2.3, & locked rotor is 13.8. Should I worry that these numbers don't seem to match any of the same type of numbers in the specs. of the L8124C 1003 which I understand is the older model. The newer model is L8124C 1011. Does any of this matter and can I use the newer model also?

Old 02-09-13, 01:32 PM
NJT
I'm not sure why you are saying 'older model' and 'newer model'... that 4 digit number does not denote anything in terms of age. In fact, in many cases it means nothing significant at all.

It looks to me like the ratings on the other models is HIGHER than the existing one, and this means it can carry more current, which is good.

Remember that a load, the burner or circulator, is only going to draw whatever it draws.

The electrical rating on the aquastat is the maximum that the device can carry...

So don't worry about the electrical ratings being higher.

Old 02-11-13, 05:40 PM
Thank you for that last answer. It now makes a lot more sense to me.