Improved heating systems vs. insulation.

Old 02-10-13, 07:02 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Improved heating systems vs. insulation.

All of those that check and post on here are always looking at how to fix our systems better. Making things more efficient and reliable. NJ trooper always posts and is very true "insulation is the fuel you pay for once". As a good "bad example" here is my house (just moved a couple months ago) and my neighbors house. Note the "beautiful" stalactite type icicles hanging from my house and the lack thereof from neighbors.

It was 18 degrees here this AM, 2-10-13, we are 24 hours plus after the blizzard "nemo" in Lake Grove NY (Suffolk county). No hint of snow plows making it around yet. Driveway and cars clean with no where to go. 20" plus of snow by me.

Name:  2013-02-10_08-48-18_612.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  2013-02-10_08-48-27_729.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  46.6 KB

Old 02-10-13, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Is there a question here or are you just making a comment???

Old 02-10-13, 07:46 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is that the south facing side of your house, but the east facing side of your neighbour ?
Could just be sun loading thawing the snow a bit.
Check if the attic is ventilated properly and how much insulation is up there..

Old 02-10-13, 08:36 AM
S
GregH,
Just making comment with picture example to make it easier to see some of the reasons to insulate properly. After that the right sized boilers work much easier to maintain and save $$.

DaveC72,
Yes south on mine and east on neighbors but my North looks just the same even the lower roof that is blocked from sun. The neighbor behind me who's rear faces south also has almost no icycles. hanging from it. A lot of those icycles happened overnight so I woke to that.

Old 02-10-13, 09:45 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Are you on friendly terms with the neighbors yet whereby you can ask how much insulation they have in the attic?

Old 02-10-13, 10:13 AM
S
Cordially friendly so far, asking is always easy but inspecting it not sure about that far. Who knows if they even know. Many of the houses here are on their 2nd or more owners. Most of our houses have the scuttle hatch in attic in closet to get there (unless they added pull down stairs). Attics here are really just crawl space high at center just enough room for central air systems etc. Not much convenient storage room for anything. Not sure if I'm at the "hey lets have a beer, can you move all the stuff in your closet so I can crawl in your attic" stage yet.

Mine has a bunch of "extra" R-30 rolled on top of whatever was there but obviously not a compete coverage or fixing other air leaks into it first. When engineer inspected house he also mentioned better venting as nails etc. were all rusty from moisture getting in and not out. He said same thing, best to keep it from getting there first but also get rid of what does.

You can feel the drafts by many outlets also so lots of heat loss at these leaks.

Not much sense in thinking upgraded boiler until those issues cured. I'd wind up with a 3 times the size just to accommodate based on slant fin heat loss calculator.

Old 02-10-13, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It is likely that insulation is blocking the soffits so that air can not circulate in the attic.
If you get into the attic and crawl to the soffit area you should see lots of daylight and be able to almost see outside.
If the soffits are blocked with insulation removing it from this area will likely fix the ice dam problem.

Also, what is there for vents at the upper part of the attic, gable or ridge vents?

Old 02-10-13, 10:36 PM
S
Gable vents but not sure if open. previous owner might have sealed off some. I saw light but couldn't see if any plastic. On front of house I saw daylight by soffits from attic area but not sure if all. one mushroom power vent also but never heard fan kick in during the summer. probably dead motor on it.

Back of house on second floor does not have soffits or any other venting. first floor (about 10' deep) has soffits but no other venting I know of. Definitely no gables or ridge by wall it attaches to. no powered vent either (yet)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: