Gas / Furnace Confusion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-13, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas / Furnace Confusion

Help me out here.... I live in a rental unit that has ONE furnace to be shared between TWO units and there is two hot water tanks also run by gas. We have two gas meters outside & both receive monthly gas bills.
My question is : Can TWO gas lines feed into the same furnace and heat the separate units separately and each apt. get billed separately ? I have my own thermostat in our unit and I am pretty sure they do also.
Think my landlord is messin with me.
Kim

Last edited by NJT; 02-16-13 at 11:00 AM. Reason: vulgar insinuations not needed.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-13, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best thing to do is to compare bills with your neighbor at this point. Best if you have pictures of what you are describing. Check the average temperature on each gas bill and ask your neighbor what the heat is set at during the day, afternoon, evening and at night. For each degree that you are lower, there should be about a 3% lower gas bill. Second, call the gas company and ask when the person who will read the meter is showing up. Have a conversation with them. Good luck.

Old 02-16-13, 11:07 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Kim, why not try politely asking the landlord about it?

Follow the pipes from the meters to see where they are connected.

This question is a bit outside the realm of 'do it yourself' repairs, and more about landlord / tenant relations... so it's likely I'm going to have to shut it down...

Closed Thread