Baseboards don't get as hot as they used to

Old 02-26-13, 05:00 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboards don't get as hot as they used to

Hi everyone, I think my heating system is having issues. The baseboards don't get as hot as they used to so it is taking a long time to warm up the house. The circulating pump seems to be working. I placed a screwdriver on it and to my ear and I hear a sound. Not very loud at all but I assume this is a good thing. The pipes before and after the 3 zone valves are hot to the touch. The pipes before and after the circulator pump is warm to the touch. Pressure is 12psi and temp 150. Attached are some pics so you get an idea what my system looks like. It gets serviced once a year. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Mark

Attached Images          
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-13, 05:47 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should be able to clearly hear the pump with the screwdriver test. I can hear my pump just by placing my ear close to it while the burner is off. Also, the pipes being hot at the zone valves and cool to the touch at the pump indicates a lack of flow.

Can you confirm that your hearing the pump? Burner off, do the test again, you should clearly hear the pump.

Old 02-26-13, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Does the boiler reach 180F?

Did you or someone adjust the aquastat settings?

What are the aquastat settings? hi/lo/diff?

Old 02-26-13, 06:45 AM
T
Ever clean the dust out of the baseboard units?

Pump impellers go bad, other parts can break.... it's typically easy to change but yours appears to be missing some vital valves to isolate it. Could also be air locked, but that's unlikely Still, if pumps the problem, a DIY task if you're up to it.

You should also consider replacing the fuel line with one which is encased in a protective non-metallic tube. It's required now in many places.... if that corroded area behind the boiler leaks you will have a major headache cleaning up an uncontrolled flow.\

Is there an ODR or another accesssory device to control the water's temperature? Is 150 the setting on the control?

Old 02-26-13, 10:10 AM
D
Thank you all. I ended up calling the Oil company. I have a service plan with them. The Honeywell L8124C1003 Triple Aquastat Relay had gone bad. $340 replaced. It had been replaced 6 years ago. This boiler gets used all year round because it also heats the shower water. As some of you mentioned, the pipes before and after the circulator are much hotter now.
Good tip on the fuel line. Is that an easy job? Not sure how to stop the oil from coming out when replacing it. Thanks again everyone.

Mark

Old 02-26-13, 02:22 PM
C
Deer Park:

Did you pay $340 for the aquastat with the insurance (Plan)? We purchased insurance after the mess with the Aquastat, wire harness and vent damper. Once the tech pulled the pin and the fuse tripped, we had to replace the wire harness and vent damper. The insurance here in NJ has no trip charge and you do not pay for parts. There are items that are not covered. Just curious.

Old 02-27-13, 07:27 AM
D
The insurance only covered the service call. I had to pay the full $340 for the part. I am in MD. They also have a "Service Plus" but it doesn't cover this part either. I'll know what to check next time this happens.

Old 02-27-13, 08:20 AM
C
Wow, the parts are covered here. There is no mention of parts not covered. $340 for a $150 parts sounds rediculous. They marked up the part which probably covered the trip charge. Here I was able to get 1 Heating and AC for $30 month and for an additional $90-$120 it covers each second and third units, etc. Very comprehensive plan and well worth it. I would look into other companies after your contract anniversary is up.

Old 02-27-13, 03:34 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
That all being said, I would add that most people without a 'plan' will end up spending upwards of $700 to have a simple aquastat changed out.