New boiler needed?

Old 02-26-13, 04:44 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New boiler needed?

I possibly have a serious problem with my boiler (Becket Afg, em-100). I scheduled for a technician/serviceman to look at it tomorrow, however I want to know what I am expecting to hear just in case I avoid get overcharged. I don't know the exact names of parts but the exhaust pipe above the boiler leading to the chimney, has a small flame seeping through the outside of it. I lifted the top cover when it was shut off, and it has a 3 inch gash on the inner cover being held by a few bolts.

When the boiler is off, I can barely see the inner top cover, and it is glowing red during the times the boiler was on and with a small flame emerging from the cover, but running along the chimney exhaust. I'm assuming I need a new boiler (praying its just because of a inner rusty cover) but if I don't, what seems to be the problem? Thank you for anyone that can answer this quickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-13, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Please shut the system down and do not use it. Turn the emergency switch off. That sounds serious and you do not want to risk a house fire......

That should not be at all. I would think the ceramic in the fire chamber broke...

http://columbiaheating.com/certifica...012%5B1%5D.pdf

Old 02-26-13, 05:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. It is off at the moment and staying off until a technician looks at it tomorrow. I just hope my parents don't turn it on and can cope with the cold weather until it is fixed or replaced. I don't live at the house but I don't want it to burn with no one in it either. The file you posted, is exactly what I have. and based on the diagram, the flame is emerging/escaping under the "flue outlet" with the topside inner and outer cover glowing slightly red. Just to clarify if any confusion.

Old 02-26-13, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Let us know what they find.... Geez I wonder if theres no water in it?????