Rough cost to convert from oil to gas

Old 02-28-13, 07:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rough cost to convert from oil to gas

Curious to find out what the rough cost would be to convert from oil to gas. I already have gas hooked up in the house. A 3/4" gas line actually runs right behind the oil burner right now, the 1" pipe is actually just a few feet away and steps down to 3/4. National Grid (gas company) offers incentives where I can get the gas burner for around $800-1200. I would just need a ballpark figure of what a plumber would charge to hook up the new furnace. I have no problem removing the old oil burner. Currently I have my domestic hot water coming from my oil burner so I would also have to install a gas indirect hot water heater.

Also, my chimney is not a masonry chimney it is stainless steal. I dont believe it would have to be "re-lined".

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-13, 07:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would also have to install a gas indirect hot water heater.
An 'indirect' water heater has no hookup for gas, oil, or electric. It's piped to your boiler much as a heating zone would be. So you would just be installing an 'indirect water heater' ... no "gas" needed.

my chimney is not a masonry chimney it is stainless steal. I dont believe it would have to be "re-lined".
No... you should be OK with that part.

If the 'gas' water heater you mentioned... if you were thinking a normal gas fired stand-alone water heater type... your local building codes would probably not allow you to vent both the boiler and the water heater into the same chimney.

I hope what you said about a 'leak' is correct...

Old 02-28-13, 07:54 PM
NJT
I think that "Lucky Driver" will be able to discuss price for conversion with you... he just had one installed this past fall. He'll be by soon!

Old 02-28-13, 08:03 PM
J
OK so an indirect how water heater gets connected like an additional zone. Is that better that getting a gas fired hot water tank?

Most probably I Would not be able to get a gas fired water heater due to the vent correct?

Old 03-01-13, 05:50 AM
NJT
Indirect is probably more economical to own than a stand-alone gas water heater.

Some of the savings come from the fact that you don't have an ADDITIONAL combustion device to maintain, they typically last MUCH LONGER (stainless steel tanks usually) than the standard offering water heaters.

Downside is that they can (and almost always do) cost upwards of $1000 to install, but if you will be in the home for a period of time, that cost is generally recouped in savings.

Correct... if you don't have a flue to vent into and need to add a separate chimney, figure that into the cost of a stand-alone...

Old 03-01-13, 06:04 AM
S
You can also ask national grid as they have "authorized" plumbers list. They ran gas down my old street and the guy who bought my house converted over. He said it was about $600 total. The plumber who came saw my old system and said not to change any parts of it except the head. It already had indirect water heater and sleeved chimney.

A couple companies make a gas conversion burner. His he said was made by Wayne OIL TO GAS CONVERSIONS and was about $400 for the unit.

If everything you have is in good condition that might be a good option. If your due for a new system than obviously it will be much more.

A co-worker converted after hurricane Irene when his basement flooded and his oil tank floated away. He needed everything new, he said his was about 6-7k for the full install.

Old 03-01-13, 06:17 AM
J
My boiler is 7 years old and it is really new. I looked into just changing the gun but I heard that it is not efficient and not a good way of doing it. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would just need to add an indirect water heater to the system and change the riello oil gun to a gas gun.

Old 03-01-13, 06:59 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The cost

I got an offer I could not refuse. Some years ago my 275 indoor tank started to get pinholes. To make a long story short, Con Edison offered to remove the tank,install a gas gun, and all the other goodies for under$200. Of course in those days they overfired it, but I started to adjust it down to a lower fireing rate, and I was very happy with the system. The short answer is rhe gas gun worked fine in my opinion, the gas, and air get a very good mix, and much more turbulance than those oven burners. If I convert to gas in this house, I will put in a gas gun, so I can switch back and forth if prices start to go crazy.
Sid

Old 03-01-13, 02:04 PM
S
Unless you spend big $$ for a much better boiler, your probably not going to gain that much in overall efficiency. Last I looked the $800 gas boilers were in the mid 80% efficiency rating probably about the same as what your oil boiler is. You can get the estimates both ways and then try to calculate the payback time for the labor to install the new boiler.

The big savings will come from the cheaper cost of the gas. You can gain some efficiency by adding an indirect water heater and making the boiler cold start so it won't need to maintain a 160+ minimum temperature. The indirect recovers very fast and holds heat much better (no flue).

From there you can add some better control systems like an ODR, powered vent damper and of course the house insulation. All of the upgraded controls, insulation, indirect water heater would stay even if you decided to get a gas unit later.

My experience/example on my old house oil setup. I went from crappy boiler with tankless water to new boiler with indirect water heater and replaced windows on second floor. I went from 1400 gal/year to 1000 gal/year. I had that setup for a couple years consistent. After that I added an Intellidyne HW+ and went to 700 gal/year, next year added an oil vent damper and went to 650 gal/year.

From all I've learned here and other places one of the Tekmar ODR controls probably would save more but at the time for all I had heard about and researched the Intellidyne sounded good for $200. It paid for itself in less than 6 months.

Old 03-10-13, 09:20 AM
J
I believe I did the same project you are looking at about 6 years ago when oil prices went through the roof.

I had a Smith Series 8 boiler on oil and a tankless coil installed in the boiler. Smith also sold this boiler with a Carlin gas burner so the setup for the conversion was already specified by the factory. I got the gas gun installed for $1600 including the gas plumbing. I had the piping already in the house like you but it was not in service at that time. The gas meter was less than 10 feet from the boiler. That was the cheapest of the 3 quotes I got. One of the big name local boiler shops quoted me $2600 for the burner install alone, so shop around the prices can vary quite a bit. Search the threads here, you'll find my posts from that time.

I also had the plumber install a SuperStor 30 gallon indirect tank, I think that was around $2000 installed but I might be off on that price. I ended up having the oil tank and remaining oil carried away free about a year later.

I actually ended up here again because the mothballed tankless coil plate on my boiler was leaking so I'm searching for advice. Good luck on your project.

Old 03-10-13, 10:45 PM
S
JimmyMood,
Check local supply house or online search for Smith boiler parts. Forget about Depot or Lowes they'll never have it or know what to do. Where is it leaking from gasket area or fittings for water?

I ordered for my Peerless (from their parts website) a blank plate with gasket and bolts for about $30. Plate has the hole for aquastat in it. 2 supply houses I called were no help which seemed strange. Maybe call Smith Customer Service they could probably at least get you part number.

Before attempting fix get some Kroil or PB blaster and spray all the bolts a couple times (for like a week) so you don't snap them trying to get them out. Liquid wrench maybe, forget about WD-40. Kroil first choice but probably need to order online, PB next, LW 3rd. I read one thing a long time ago that 50/50 acetone and Auto tranny fluid worked even better at breaking rust but the acetone will probably do weird things with gaskets in place and maybe make leaks worse before you get to fix them.