Missing Radiator Grate (Cosmetic Issue) -- Ideas for Low-Cost Repair?

Old 03-06-13, 11:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Missing Radiator Grate (Cosmetic Issue) -- Ideas for Low-Cost Repair?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, so apologies if there is a better place for this post. I have a cosmetic issue with one of my radiators--it is missing a pop-out grate that would normally be at the base of the radiator sitting on the floor (see pictures below, one showing a radiator complete with grate, the other without). I'm renting, and my landlord doesn't seem to have any idea what happened to the previous grate, so I don't think there is much chance of replacing it properly.

I am looking for a low-cost and not too labor-intensive way of covering the hole that looks decent and provides a solid barrier. Our previous solution was to duct tape over the thing (that's what you see on the floor in the one picture), but I'm looking for a more grown-up idea. Bonus points if I don't have to cut or drill through metal.

Regards,

James W.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-13, 01:00 PM
T
Don't tape it over, that's where the air flows in and gets heated as it flows out the top. It's called convection.

The big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) sells a variety of open decorative metals. You can cover the whole thing with a panel if you want. Just leave room for the air to flow - top and bottom.

Old 03-06-13, 01:51 PM
R
Thanks, thatoldguy. Yeah, taping over it was certainly not my first choice, but it kept my toddler's hands out of there for a while. The decorative metal idea sounds about right, but I wonder what the best way to affix it to the radiator would be? Think I could find something pliable enough to fashion into a kind box (similar to the original) that fits in snugly?

Old 03-08-13, 05:32 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
That decorative metal is fairly thin. It can be cut with a HEAVY pair of regular scissors. (It will dull them a bit so don't use the lady's sewing scissors!)

Think about perhaps magnets, velcro, etc... double sided tape may come in handy too.

There WILL be sharp edges that may be more dangerous for a toddler than the stuff under the radiator, so a way of sealing off any of those sharp edges will be needed.

While yer at home depot, take a look at the plastic molding pieces. Maybe you can use them to fashion a 'frame' around the piece of metal. Use the double sided tape to attach them to the metal. Then maybe the magnets can hold the new grill in place...