Honeywell Zone Valve 9017 sticks

Old 03-11-13, 02:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Zone Valve 9017 sticks

I have one of my four zone valves sticking. It correctly works and allows heat to the area but then does not 'close'. It continues to allow heat unless I physically tap on the motor. It will then close. I have been tapping it all season but I'm sure this can be fixed. It has become increasingly stiff and needing harder
taps' to get it to close. This makes the zone it controls VERY warm. Too warm. Is it the motor or some other part? Can it be greased?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-13, 03:29 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Matt, is there any more part number information on the valve? The "9017" is probably a date code.

Do you have the covers? Should be a model number on them.

I'm going to guess and say it's a V8043 series valve.
Info on replacement parts below based on this guess.

It could be just the motor. It's a 5 minute job to change.

image courtesy pexsupply.com

802360JA - Honeywell 802360JA - Replacement Motor for V8043 Zone Valves

But, it could also be the 'gear train' inside the 'power head'. If you need to replace that whole head, that's easy too... BUT ONLY IF your valve is the 'new' variety. If there are FOUR screws holding the power head to the valve body, it's the OLD STYLE, and to repair that you would need to drain the system (or isolate the section of pipe if you are lucky enough to have shutoff valves on either side of the zone valve) and install a 'conversion kit' that will allow you to use the 'new style' valves on the old valve body.

The NEW style valves have only TWO screws, and TWO 'locating pins'.

Do your valves have terminal strip on one end for wiring? Or do they have 2 yellow and 2 red wires?

If yours have wires, this is the replacement head:

40003916-026 - Honeywell 40003916-026 - Replacement Head for V8043E Zone Valves

If terminal strips, this is the one:

40003916-048 - Honeywell 40003916-048 - Replacement Head for V8043F Zone Valves

Here is the conversion kit if you need it:

40003918-006 - Honeywell 40003918-006 - 2 Way Powerhead Conversion Kit (Water)

Old 03-12-13, 07:19 AM
M
I hope I get the terms right but I do have the cover for the 'power head'. The only numbers on that cover are REV. A 97-3883 but I think you are right and it's V8043F with terminal strips. The motor itself says Synchron and then has a black Honeywell stamp on it that reads 9017. The picture you sent looks like my motor. I think I'm in luck and I have the NEW style valve with only two screws if I need to change the power head. I'm guessing that I should start with a new motor and see if that fixes it? Looks fairly simple. Do I need to shut down the boiler before changing the motor or just swith off the power?

Old 03-12-13, 07:50 AM
M
Does the replacement head you suggested come with the motor or do I need to order the motor and then the power head seperately? I only ask to save on shipping. If I order just the motor and that doesn't fix the problem then I would be ordering the power head next and if it already contains a motor I might as well just order the power head.

Old 03-12-13, 08:36 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Matt, the power heads include the motor.

If in fact that 9017 is a date code, that means your valves are over 20 years old.

I would think it best to simply order the new power head and forget the motor.

Just shut the power off to the system... you don't want thermostat calling for heat while you are replacing the head. No other precautions to take.

Check locally to see if HD or Lowes or even a local supply house has the head... might be cheaper to buy local and save the shipping.