No Hot Water without the CH on

Old 03-14-13, 06:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Hot Water without the CH on

I have a Weil Mclain 1107-1 and I'm not getting hot water unless the heat is running. I've read something about a diverter being the issue, but honestly I can't locate it. Is it the same as the gas controller?

A few days ago I had emptied my water system to adjust the pressure on my pressure tank (as 10 lbs too high) and the extra water pressure could have stirred up some sediment.

Any ideas? Thanks for the time.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-13, 06:45 AM
M
No thoughts to help a guy broke and cold in Vermont?

Thanks again for your time reading this.

Old 03-15-13, 06:57 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Please check the boiler model again. I don't recognize " 1107-1 "

A few days ago I had emptied my water system to adjust the pressure on my pressure tank
Has the hot water problem existed only since you have done this?

Or, did it exist previous to this action?

You 'emptied' the water? Why? You don't need to 'empty' the water in order to adjust the tank pressure.

And you are saying that the tank pressure was ten pounds too high? not likely...

Please explain more fully.

Old 03-15-13, 07:13 AM
M
We did have an incident where our furnace didn't didn't turn on, I messed with the wiring and it kicked on, then no incidents for several months until now.

From what I had read, to check my pressure tank pressure I needed to shut off the water, then drain the system simply by opening the faucets and draining the tank. Then check the pressure in the tank and set it 2-3 lbs below the cut in point of the pump. When I checked it, it was at 37lbs with a cut in point of 30 lbs. I've heard that many pre-charged tanks are set at to a 40 lb cut in, so while I expected it to be too low, this wasn't all together unexpected. When I took 10lbs out, my water pressure increased substantially, can now actually flush a toilet and wash my hands afterwards.

A couple of days after this we noticed the hot water issue, but it could have been masked by the fact that it's still cold here and the furnace fires regularly. I was thinking that the increased flow could have stirred up sediment at the bottom of the water heater and messed with one of the valves, but speculation by me at this point

Wish I knew more than this, but sadly I don't. Thanks for the response

Old 03-15-13, 07:32 AM
NJT
OK, I'm confused... and you may be too!

It sounds to me as if you are talking about adjusting the pressure on your private well system pressure tank. Is that correct?

If so, that discussion really doesn't belong here on the boiler forum... but I'm going to offer a few pointers anyway.

Yes, it is correct that you need to depressurize ANY system (either potable water or boiler) that uses this type of tank in order to properly adjust the pressure setting. You don't necessarily have to DRAIN it though, only remove the pressure on the water side down to zero PSI.

THEN set the tank pressure to 2-3 PSI below the pump 'cut-in' pressure.

However, if you drained the system and found that the pressure in the tank was HIGHER than it should be, it's highly likely that you've got a bad pressure tank on the well system. That should be looked into... but first make sure that your system is a standard pressure switch setup and NOT one of the modern 'constant pressure' variable speed drives. The rules for setting the pressure on those is DIFFERENT than standard systems.

That's enough on your well system for now... let's focus on the intent of the BOILER forum next...

Old 03-15-13, 07:37 AM
NJT
I have a Weil Mclain 1107-1
What is an " 1107-1 " ... I don't recognize this as a W-M boiler model.

From what I can gather from your posting, your domestic hot water is supplied by a 'tankless' coil inside this boiler.

Is that correct?

In other words, you do NOT have a separate stand-alone water heater, either gas, electric, or oil fueled...

Is that correct?

At what 'historical point' in the sequence of events did you begin to have trouble with the hot water?

Only after you messed with the pressure tank on the well system?

Old 03-15-13, 08:31 AM
M
Thanks for the reply's.
My bad, the model number for the boiler is CGI 4 PIL, the 1107 if the controller box number, my bad. I run propane as a fuel.
Yes I do have a stand alone Water tank, Weil Mclain model Gold 40.

Yes the issues started shortly after adjusting my well pressure tank. I was only giving this info as background data in case it could have played a part in my hot water issue. I believe the pressure tank was replaced shortly before I moved in under a year ago.

Old 03-15-13, 10:30 AM
NJT
Is the work area for the well tank close to the water heater tank?

Is it possible that in the course of working on the well tank that the wiring from the water heater to the boiler became disconnected / damaged?

The water heater tank has a thermostat on it that is supposed to call the boiler to fire up and heat the tank.

When you say " I'm not getting hot water unless the heat is running " ...

You do realize that the boiler needs to run in order to heat the indirect tank up, correct?

Old 03-15-13, 10:50 AM
M
No, they are 15-20 ft apart. Yes, I'm aware the boiler needs to be running to heat the water, but it should do this when required correct? Not just when I trigger my central heating to kick in. For example, woke up in the morning with barely warm water for a shower. I turned up my living room thermostat to see if the furnace was functioning and it kicked in. Shortly there after I had hot water. If my heat doesn't come on for a period of time (I also use a secondary heat source in the daytime), I only get luke warm water. I kick my heat on and the water heats up.

Happy it's Friday, going to need a beer.

Old 03-15-13, 10:55 AM
NJT
OK, just want to make sure what you have before sending you off troubleshooting the wrong thing!

First check the wiring from the water heater thermostat back to the boiler to make sure everything is OK there.

Then, adjust the thermostat on the water heater to a higher setting to see if the boiler fires up...

Sounds like either the thermostat on the water heater is bad, or some problem with the boiler controls... but hopefully you will find a wiring problem...

Old 03-15-13, 11:38 AM
M
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot.

Old 03-15-13, 03:20 PM
NJT
Happy it's Friday, going to need a beer.
Too late... I drank 'em already.

Do you own and know how to use a multimeter?
(in case further troubleshooting is needed...)