Baseboard heating

Old 03-16-13, 05:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heating

I am adding base board. The second floor will be a zone by itself. There are two bedrooms that I want to keep cooler than the rest of the floor. I am trying to avoid running three home runs. I was thinking of using a three way zone valve. Most of the diagrams Ive seen show the valve at the entrance or the exit of the heating element and ted back together at the other end. Using the setup in this diagram would save me a lot of work running pipe. My question is will this work? I have not yet purchased the valves yet. I cannot find out if they completely close the bypass when activated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-13, 07:18 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It's too bad that here in the US the 3-way thermostatic radiator valves seem to be made of unobtainium. This would seem to be ideal because it could be done without any power.

Without knowing all the details of your system, I would say that yes, it will probably work. I'm not sure myself if they 'close all the way' but I'm sure they close enough to achieve your goal.

I might be a little bit concerned about 'water hammer' though. Sometimes when zone valves close against a moving stream of water they can hammer. Not sure if this would be a problem with a 3-way though, since you aren't stopping the flow ... merely diverting it.

Old 03-17-13, 10:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank You for the reply.

My main concern is if the bypass in not closed all the way will hot water flow through the element.

Old 03-18-13, 03:20 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Even if you do get a 'trickle' it wouldn't be a show stopper.

Zone valves can't be expected to be 100% positive shutoff.